What are the possible relations between two sets A and B?

• Thread starter playboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
I was trying to write down all the possible subsets of AxB... i wasn't sure how to express that when i wrote it in the forum. i am still a little confused with the difference between the two...
playboy
Relations Again :(

K, so I am studying for the upcoming midterm... and their is this question in the book...

Let A = {a} and B = {1,2,3}. List all the possible relations between A and B.

So Ordered pairs, Cartesian Products and Relations are all together in the chapter, and I am really confused between them.

"List all possible relations between A and B"

Would that be something like A~B ?

would the answer be something like {(a,1) (a,2) (a,3)} ?

Please help someone!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have the book around why don't you start with the thing that states

Definition: a relation on two sets A and B is a...

Try writing it out here and starting to work out all possible cases and see where you get. People can then point out what you've done right and what you've missed out.

Let A = {a} and B = {1,2,3}. List all the possible relations between A and B.

Definition of a relation: Let A and B be sets. A relation between A and B is any subset R of AxB. We say that (a is in A) and (b is in B) are related by R if ((a,b) is in R), and we often denote this by writing "aRb."

Given this defintion...
A = {a}
B = {1,2,3}

AxB = {(a,1) (a,2) (a,3)}

and so, all the possible relations are {(a,1) (a,2) (a,3)}

You think that AxB has exactly one subset? Does that seem at all reasonable? It doesn't to me. Only the empty set has exactly one subset in my experience. Try writing out another subset of AxB.

hmmm...

Definition: AxB= {(a,b): a in A and b in B}

A= {a}
B = {1,2,3}

Therefore, the possiblities for AxB with the definition are:

AxB = {(a,1)}
AxB = {(a,2)}
AxB = {(a,3)}

Am i still missing something or doing something wrong?

AxB= {(a,b): a in A and b in B} is the correct definition.
It means: "The set of all ordered pairs with the first component in A and the second in B."
It doesn't mean a set consisting of one ordered pair with the first component in A and the second in B.

So from this definition, write down what AxB is.
Then look again at the definition of a relation and write down all possible relations between A and B.

Matt's suggestion is recursive. Do it again to the word subset.

Lets look at another example for a moment.

Let A = {1,2}. list all the ordered pairs (x,y) such that (x in A) and (y in A)

Answer: (1,1) (1,2) (2,1) (2,2), I see 4 Ordered Pairs here.

Let A = {1,2}. list all the ordered pairs (x,y) such that (x in A) and (y in B)

Answer: (1,2) (2,1), I see 2 Ordered Pairs here.

Back to the quesiton: Let A = {a} and B = {1,2,3}. List all the possible relations between A and B.

Definition: A relation between A and B is any subset R of AxB

AxB = {(a,1) (a,2) (a,3)} I see three Ordered Pairs in this set. I have no idea what I am doing wrong here? i mean, (a in A) and ((1,2,3) in B) give these ordered pairs (a,1), (a,2), (a,3)

Or perhaps its {(1,a) (2,a) (3,a} but that makes no sense to me nor to the definition.

playboy said:
Lets look at another example for a moment.

Let A = {1,2}. list all the ordered pairs (x,y) such that (x in A) and (y in A)

Answer: (1,1) (1,2) (2,1) (2,2), I see 4 Ordered Pairs here.

Let A = {1,2}. list all the ordered pairs (x,y) such that (x in A) and (y in B)

Answer: (1,2) (2,1), I see 2 Ordered Pairs here.
Where did B come from? Did you mean "(y in A)"?

[quoteBack to the quesiton: Let A = {a} and B = {1,2,3}. List all the possible relations between A and B.

Definition: A relation between A and B is any subset R of AxB

AxB = {(a,1) (a,2) (a,3)} I see three Ordered Pairs in this set. I have no idea what I am doing wrong here? i mean, (a in A) and ((1,2,3) in B) give these ordered pairs (a,1), (a,2), (a,3)

Or perhaps its {(1,a) (2,a) (3,a} but that makes no sense to me nor to the definition.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are correct. AxB= {(a,1), (a, 2), (a, 3)} ({(1,a),(2,a),(3,a)}=
BxA which is different) has three members. Now how many subsets does it have?

Where did B come from? Did you mean "(y in A)"?

Ooops... i made a mistake with the "(y in A)" ... forget about that!

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, you are correct. AxB= {(a,1), (a, 2), (a, 3)} ({(1,a),(2,a),(3,a)}= BxA which is different) has three members. Now how many subsets does it have?

How many subsets does AxB have? Ill list all the possible subsets of AxB:

C = {(a,1)}
D = {(a,2)}
E = {(a,3)}
F = {(a,1),(a,2)}
G = {(a,2),(a,3)}
H = {(a,1),(a,3)}
I = {(a,1), (a, 2), (a, 3)}

So their are 7 possible subsets of AxB. So i have been confused all this time because matt grimm said in post #4 "You think that AxB has exactly one subset"

You missed a subset.

So their are 7 possible subsets of AxB. So i have been confused all this time because matt grimm said in post #4 "You think that AxB has exactly one subset"

He said that because when you wrote down what you claim was all relations, you wrote down one thing. And since a relation is a subset of AxB, it's as if you are asserting that AxB only has one subset.

Hurkyl said:
You missed a subset.

I suppose I missed the empty set

J = {empty set}

Hurkyl said:
He said that because when you wrote down what you claim was all relations, you wrote down one thing. And since a relation is a subset of AxB, it's as if you are asserting that AxB only has one subset.

Question: Let A = {a} and B = {1,2,3}. List all the possible relations between A and B.

A relation between A and B is any subset R of AxB

AxB = {(a,1), (a, 2), (a, 3)}

Possible subsets of AxB:

C = {(a,1)}
D = {(a,2)}
E = {(a,3)}
F = {(a,1),(a,2)}
G = {(a,2),(a,3)}
H = {(a,1),(a,3)}
J = {empty set}

So all the subsets I listed above, C through J are all the possible relations between the sets A and B

{empty set} isn't a subset of AxB. (Because that is the set which contains the empty set, and is not the empty set itself) Writing {} for the empty set is common.

playboy said:
So i have been confused all this time because matt grimm said in post #4 "You think that AxB has exactly one subset"

Hey, don't blame me for that perfectly accurate observation of what you were saying. You said that a relation was the same as a subset. Then you asserted that AxB has only one relation, that is you asserted it has exactly one subset. I asked you a rhetorical question 'you think that AxB has exactly one subset?' to point out where your error was. It does not have one subset. And I explained that only the empty set has one subset. Did I not point out that your assertion that there was one subset was unreasonable?

Well, i listed all the possible subsets of AxB = {(a,1), (a, 2), (a, 3)}

C = {(a,1)}
D = {(a,2)}
E = {(a,3)}
F = {(a,1),(a,2)}
G = {(a,2),(a,3)}
H = {(a,1),(a,3)}

I can't see anyone that I missed, unless its something in the definiton that i missed...(also, the order dosn't matter when listing sets, that that won't make a difference.)

Just to confirm, {empty set} is NEVER a subset of any cartestian product right.

I think you misunderstood me.

{empty set} is not a subset of AxB

The empty set is.

matt grime said:
Hey, don't blame me for that perfectly accurate observation of what you were saying. You said that a relation was the same as a subset. Then you asserted that AxB has only one relation, that is you asserted it has exactly one subset. I asked you a rhetorical question 'you think that AxB has exactly one subset?' to point out where your error was. It does not have one subset. And I explained that only the empty set has one subset. Did I not point out that your assertion that there was one subset was unreasonable?

Yes looking back now i see what you were saying. I thought you were trying to say that I was way off... but I see my mistake now. :frown:

Hurkyl said:
I think you misunderstood me.

{empty set} is not a subset of AxB

The empty set is.

Ohh! I see.

What is "Relations Again"?

"Relations Again" is a term used in the field of psychology to describe the phenomenon of two individuals rekindling their romantic relationship after a period of separation or breakup.

Why do people get back together after a breakup?

There are many potential reasons for this, including unresolved feelings, a desire for closure, the familiarity and comfort of a previous relationship, or a belief that the relationship can be improved or fixed.

Is getting back together with an ex a good idea?

It depends on the individual situation and the reasons for the breakup. If the relationship was unhealthy or toxic, it may not be a good idea to get back together. However, if both individuals have grown and worked on their issues, it may be possible for the relationship to be successful the second time around.

What are some factors that may lead to a successful reunion?

Effective communication, mutual respect, and a willingness to address and resolve past issues are all important factors in a successful reunion. It is also important for both individuals to have a strong commitment to making the relationship work.

Can a relationship work after multiple breakups and reunions?

It is possible for a relationship to work after multiple breakups and reunions, but it may require more effort and work to rebuild trust and address underlying issues. It is important for both individuals to be committed to making the relationship work and to communicate openly and honestly with each other.