1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Relations & functions

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    Hello every one .
    A relation ( is a subset of the cartesian product between Xand Y) in math between two sets has spacial
    types 1-left unique ( injective)
    2- right unique ( functional )
    3- left total
    4- right total (surjective)
    May question is 1- a function ( map ) is a relation that is
    a- right unique
    b- left total
    I'm asking if there is a relation ( not function ) that is ( left total) and ( right total ) then what would is be called ? In the sense that the two set are infinite set is there and example
    My second question if we have two group structures and we want a relation between them , why does always the relation is function ( homomorphism ) ? Is there a relation that is left total and right total between the two structures ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Does your x-total imply x-unique? If not, you have pretty many possibilities to define non-functional relations (finite or not).
    The same goes for group homomorphisms. Simply define a relation ##R## (functional or not, finite or not) with ##(a,1) \in R## for an ##a \neq 1##, the neutral element.

4. Jul 25, 2016 #3
    No , there is no uniqueness
    A relation which is not function e.g. X^2+Y^2=1 , this is between two sets
    Now if a set with a structure ( space ) is there relation( not map ) between the two space or groups ? And how would it look like ?

5. Jul 25, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Simply take a projection, e.g. ##ℝ^2 → ℝ## with ##(x,y) = x## and turn the arrow, so ##((x,y),x)## becomes ##(x,(x,y))##.
    But this is only one example out of many. Relation means, you are not restricted to any other rule than to draw many arrows, i.e. in case of totality ##R \subseteq X \times Y## such that ##∀ x \in X \; ∀ y \in Y \; ∃ (x,y) \in R##. Relate whatever you want to.
    There is a reason why we talk about functions. Relations are simply too many and too arbitrary.

6. Jul 25, 2016 #5
    Thank you very much , now i understand why we choose functions to relate spaces , and alao i think functions appear in nature of physics alot ( by means function decribe the nature ) and easy to handle because we know how elements are related .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted