1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relations proof

1. Dec 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if a set has 3 elements, then we can find 8 relations on A that all have the same symmetric closure.

2. Relevant equations

Symmetric closure ##R^* = R \cup R^{-1} ##

3. The attempt at a solution

If the symmetric closures of n relations are the same then we have,

## R_1 \cup R_1^{-1} = R_2 \cup R_2^{-1} = ... = R_n \cup R_n^{-1} ##

I have to prove n=8 for |A| = 3

Also, ##R_1##, ##R_2##,...,##R_n## can't be symmetric. A friend told me to use power sets but I don't see how that applies here.

Do I have to write down all possible relations that can occur from A={a,b,c} or is there a better way to prove this one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would imagine a symmetric relation on A and then try to picture how you could delete elements of the relation to get the 8 different ##R_i##. Suppose the relation you start with is the one where all of the elements of A are related to each other? That gives you lots of options. I think you can find more than 8.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. Dec 15, 2013 #3
    Sorry I wrote 3 relations instead of 3 elements in the question.

This problem has appeared twice in previous years exams. My gut tells me to use permutation and combinations but I've forgot most of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted