1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between A and B

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    E = [axhat(A(x+y)) = ayhat(B(x-y))]cos(wt)

Determine the relationship between A and B

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know if there are any.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've expanded the problem and reduced it to E = cos(wt)[x(A+B)axhat + y(A-B)ayhat]
    I was going to take the real component and convert to the frequency domain to try to manipulate the cosines but I don't know if that's the right step.

If someone could just get me started or point me in the right direction I think I could figure it out. Not looking for someone to do this for me.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would help to know what E represents. Is it supposed to be a solution to the wave equation or some other pde? If so, you can try to apply that equation and find conditions on A and B. If E is an electric field, there is an additional condition on its divergence that might be useful.

Also, it seems likely that A(x+y) and B(x-y) are meant to be functions of those arguments, so the rearrangement that you made is probably incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook