Relationship between color of stars and their heat intensitiy

In summary, the conversation discusses the argument between two individuals about which color stars produce more heat. One person argues that blue stars are hotter due to their shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies, while the other believes that white stars are hotter due to their combination of colors between red and blue. It is also mentioned that increasing the temperature of an object causes it to emit light in a continuous spectrum, starting from infrared and ending with ultraviolet. However, this thread is 8 years old and is no longer relevant.
dreamfrost
can someone help me??
i have been having an argument with my cousin about which color stars produce more heat?
i say that blue stars produce more heat!
but my cousin says that white stars produce more heat!
can someone please tell me if I'm right or if she is right?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Blue stars are hotter.

The hotter an object is, the higher energy it has - higher energies correspond to higher frequencies, which in turn means shorter wavelengths. Blue is on one end of the visible spectrum (short wavelength) and red is on the other (long wavelength). So, blue is hotter than red.

You can think of white as been a combination of different colors between red and blue; consequently white stars are cooler than blue.

Hot objects give of electromagnetic radiation. AKA light (at least the part of the spectrum we can see). If you've passed about 8th grade and you paid attention, you know the spectrum, the colors of the rainbow:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

Now the colors will mix together and a hot object produces a complete spectrum, but it will tend to lean in one direction or the other depending on temperature as futz said. A red star isn't producing much of any other color. A blue star is producing a lot of the other colors, just a lot more blue.

thank you for all of your help.
i have now angered my cousin and i am somewhat happy about it.
again thank you very much!

One of the many benefits of PF!

About the white light... sorry to disappoint you, but as I know the white light disperses into the spectrum of colours...and has smaller wavelength than ultraviolet light. You can check it out by yourself. Increasing the temperature of an object makes it light red, then orange... etc heading to smaller wavelengths. When the object reaches 1500 Celsius degrees it lights intensively white i.e. it results in a continuous spectrum starting from infrared light and finishing with ultraviolet.
So white stars are hotter than blue because they have smaller wavelenght and higher frequency.

That's wrong, but more important, this thread is 8 years old, so that's kinda pointless. Thread locked.

1. What is the relationship between the color of stars and their heat intensity?

The color of a star is directly related to its temperature and heat intensity. The hotter a star is, the more blue it appears. On the other hand, cooler stars tend to have a reddish color. This is because the color of a star is determined by its surface temperature.

2. How does the color of a star affect its lifespan?

The color of a star can give insight into its lifespan. Generally, the hotter and bluer a star is, the shorter its lifespan will be. Hotter stars burn through their fuel faster and have shorter lifespans. Cooler stars, on the other hand, have longer lifespans as they burn through their fuel at a slower rate.

3. Why do blue stars have a higher heat intensity than red stars?

Blue stars have a higher heat intensity because they have a higher surface temperature. The more energy a star emits, the higher its temperature will be. Therefore, blue stars with higher heat intensities emit more energy than red stars with lower heat intensities.

4. Can the color of a star change over time?

Yes, the color of a star can change over time. This is because as a star ages, it uses up its fuel and its temperature decreases. As the temperature changes, the color of the star may also change. For example, a star that was once blue may become redder as it ages and cools down.

5. How does the color of a star affect its brightness?

The color of a star is directly related to its brightness. Hotter stars emit more energy, making them brighter than cooler stars. This is why blue stars appear brighter than red stars. The color and brightness of a star also play a role in determining its luminosity, or total amount of energy emitted.