1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between E and 1/r

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    Hi all,
    I was taught that E(field strength) is proportional to 1/r for a setup of a ring(earthed) and a positive electrode(in the centre of the ring).
    can anyone confirm this or guide me its derivation?
    thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2
    think in terms of flux lines. you can see geometrically why the field strength
    from a point is r^-2.
    from a one dimensional line is r^-1.
    from a 2 dimensional sheet is r^0.

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    hi, i do not understand exactly wad you mean... is there any diagram i cud refer to?

5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5
    oh thanks, it is clearer now.
    but how about the part of point vs 1d line vs 2dimentional sheet?

7. Oct 12, 2008 #6
    it should be obvious. visualize it. thats what flux lines are for. start with a 2 dimensional sheet extending to infinity. where are the flux lines going to go? how does their density change as you move away from the sheet?

8. Oct 13, 2008 #7
    errr, how do i model the ring and a round electrode pressed onto a plane as?
    a point charge with a spherical shell? but that will give me E is proportional to 1/r^2. this is the part i do not understand..

9. Oct 13, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you would model the electrode as the single point, the origin, and the ring as a circle of radius r. Using a spherical shell gives you a 3 dimensional problem so you get 1/r^2 again.

10. Oct 14, 2008 #9
    oh okay. the theory confused me when it insisted 1/r. i think i gotta clarify with the lab lecturer. i was sure it was 1/r^2 by that understanding. thanks ppl!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook