Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between electric forces

1. Sep 11, 2004 #1
    I am wondering if there is some way for the force between two charges (calculated by Coloumb's law) and the force applied by a field on a charge.

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you rephrase your question?
  4. Sep 11, 2004 #3

What I am trying to do is find out how the electric potential of a radial field equation is derived. I have found a derivation by using Coulomb's Law and the equations for electric force, work etc however I do not understand the equation completely. This is because I do not know if the force between two charges (Coulomb's Law) and the force exerted on a charge by a field can be compared.

5. Sep 11, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are equivalent. The force acting on a charge is related to the electric field by [itex]\vec F = q \vec E[/itex]. In fact, that's how electric fields were defined.
  6. Sep 12, 2004 #5
    Take Coulombs's law, separate a q, call the rest an electric field E defined by [tex]E = \frac{kQ}{r^2}[/tex].

That's pretty much all there is to it. Once E is defined in this way, it paves the way for all of electrostatics. The same E then contributes to describe Maxwell's electromagnetic theory in its entirety.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?