Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between Linear Algebra and Differential equations

1. Apr 21, 2004 #1
    I just came from a class lecture that tied together the relationship between linear algebra and differential equations. The lecture dealt only with homogeneous linear equations. I understood about 90% of it and want to try to tie together the loose ends.

In a nutshell, if I have a homogeneous linear differential equation of degree n, where L is a linear differential operator of order n. Then the general solution of the homogeneous linear differential equation is the linear combination of n linearly independent elements of ker(L).

I haven't seen this applied to an example yet, so it's not entirely clear, but have I stated the relationship correctly?

I guess I'll see examples tomorrow, but I'd like to go into class with a crystal clear picture, so I can following along with what will probably be another lightning quick lecture.

Can anyone provide a simple example?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2004 #2

We went over everything once more and finally went over some examples. Solving higher order homogeneous linear O.D.E.'s couldn't be easier. It's like a breath of fresh air after a month of sometimes grueling linear algebra.

4. Apr 23, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Solving homogeneous linear O.D.E. with constant coefficients is as easy as solving a polynomial equation. I, personally, could imagine easier things than solving a fifth order homogeneous linear O.D.E with constant coefficients. You will probably soon have to deal with equations with variable coefficients!
  5. Apr 23, 2004 #4
    You're absolutely right. I guess I was caught up in the moment. I really had to work hard to stay on top of the linear algebra that leads up to this revelation.

In the long run, I'm sure it only gets tougher.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?