1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relationship between the coefficient of friction and the angle of friction: Proof

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just a proof that im having touble with
    State and prove the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the angle of friction

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wouldnt know where to start, I know that
    (the reaction force X coefficient of friction) = Friction force
    And i would geuss that as the angle to the ground of something on the ground increased the friction force would increase. But im not entirely sure how to prove or (or if im beingf honest what im proving)

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By definition, the angle of friction is the angle between the normal force and the resultant of the normal and friction forces at limiting equilibrium. You'll need to draw a sketch and use some basic trig to find the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the angle of friction. (The angle of friction is the same as the angle of an incline at which point an object starts to slide).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook