Relationship between the momentum and position of particles in the double slit experiment

Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
In the double-slit experiment with two open slits, is there a fixed relationship between the momentum (p) of the particle immediately after passing through the slit and the position (q) of the impact on the screen?
In the double-slit experiment with two open slits, is there a fixed relationship between the momentum (p) of the particle immediately after passing through the slit and the position (q) of the impact on the screen?

Answers and Replies

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2022 Award
Yes. The relationship is called Schrodinger's Equation for a non-relativistc massive particle.
If you wish a more specific answer you will need to formulate a more specific question.

Ad VanderVen
My specific question is, that I have a formula for the probability density function of the momentum (p) of the particle immediately after it passes through the slit in the double-slit experiment with two open slits and I want to derive from that formula a formula for the probability density function of the position (q) of the impact on the screen?

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2022 Award
Then you need to solve Schrodinger to match your specific boundary conditions in time and space. This will likely be very difficult.
There are many approximation techniques that are useful for particular situations. What does your formula look like?

Ad VanderVen
It is formula (11) from Uffink and Hilgevoord. (1985):

$$\begin{align}
\phi \left(p \right) \, = \, \frac{\sqrt{2}~\sqrt{\frac{a }{\pi }}~\cos \left(A ~p \right)~\sin \left(a ~p \right)}{a ~p }
\end{align}$$

Reference

Uffink, J.B.M. and Hilgevoord, J. (1985). Uncertainty Principle and Uncertainty Relations. Foundations of Physics, Vol. 15, No. 9,

Last edited:

Suggested for: Relationship between the momentum and position of particles in the double slit experiment

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views