1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between wavelength of light and size of hole it can go through?

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    Doing some reading into photonics and nanophotonics. It seems that if a hole is smaller than the wavelength of light, then the light cannot go through the hole. For example, if a hole is smaller than 570nm (green), then green light and light with wavelengths less than 570nm can pass through the hole but red (750nm) cannot pass. I do not understand why that is. I'm using the classic analogy of waves at sea to picture photon behavior. I would think that amplitude would be the limiting factor since a low lying bridge would block waves taller than it. The wavelength of the waves would not matter at all right?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted