Relationship of absorbed dose (Gray) to cf-252 activity (milicurie/hour)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of TLD badges for an experiment involving cf-252 as a neutron source. The Laboratory section informed the individual that the TLD badges can withstand a maximum absorbed dose of 10 Gray and the cf-252 neutron source has an activity of 50 milicurie/hour. The individual also researched the relationship between absorbed dose and neutron source activity and found that absorbed dose constants are specific to the type and energy of radiation emitted during decay. They also found that in the first week of therapy, 6 Gy of neutron component from cf-252 are applied and in the fifth week, 16 Gy of gamma radiation are given. Based on this, the individual believes that the TLD badges should be
e-fah

Homework Statement

Hi there, I wanted to use TLD badges for my experiment using cf-252 instead of chips because they were the ones available. I was informed by the Laboratory section that the TLD had a max absorbed dose of 10 Gray. The neutron source cf-252 has an activity of 50 milicurie/hour.

Homework Equations

I googled up the relationship of absorbed dose with neutron source activity.. Maybe i was not sure. But i found that:
Absorbed Dose Constants for a variety of radionuclides, given in units of gram-rad (g-rad) per microcurie-hour (uCi/hr).
Absorbed Dose Constants are specific to the type and energy of the radiation emitted during the decay of the radionuclide.

The Attempt at a Solution

i foundthis out;
In the first week of therapy, 6 Gy (40 Gy‐eq) of the 252Cf neutron component are
applied. And in the fifth week of therapy 16 Gy absrbed dose dose of gamma radiation are given intracavitary

Physics news on Phys.org
. So, I think that the TLD badges should be able to withstand the absorbed dose of 10 Gy and the maximum activity of 50 milicurie/hour.

1. How is absorbed dose (Gray) related to cf-252 activity (milicurie/hour)?

The relationship between absorbed dose and cf-252 activity is linear. This means that as the activity increases, the absorbed dose also increases proportionally.

2. What is the unit of measurement for absorbed dose and cf-252 activity?

The unit for absorbed dose is Gray (Gy), which is a measure of energy absorbed by a material. The unit for cf-252 activity is milicurie per hour (mCi/h), which is a measure of the rate at which radioactive materials decay.

3. How does the absorption of cf-252 radiation affect the absorbed dose?

The absorbed dose is influenced by various factors, including the type of tissue being irradiated, the distance from the source, and the duration of exposure. The absorption of cf-252 radiation can increase the absorbed dose in tissues, which can have harmful effects on the body.

4. Can the relationship between absorbed dose and cf-252 activity be used to calculate radiation exposure?

Yes, the relationship between absorbed dose and cf-252 activity can be used to estimate the amount of radiation exposure. However, other factors such as shielding and distance from the source must also be taken into account to accurately calculate exposure.

5. What is the significance of studying the relationship between absorbed dose and cf-252 activity?

Understanding the relationship between absorbed dose and cf-252 activity is important for assessing the potential health risks associated with exposure to radiation. This information can also be used to establish safety guidelines and regulations for handling and disposing of radioactive materials.