How should nations handle diplomatic relations with enemies?

In summary, after almost 30 years of US policy discouraging contact with Iranian officials, American diplomats will now be allowed to engage in small talk with their Iranian counterparts at a 4th of July reception. This decision has been criticized as immature and symbolic, as informal conversations can still lead to diplomatic incidents and the ban on substantive discussions remains in place. However, it is believed that the US's wariness towards Iran's past actions, such as imprisoning US diplomats, justifies their policies.
rootX
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8080239.stm

The decision to invite Iranian diplomats to an American reception is a symbolic gesture but it puts an end to almost 30 years of a US policy discouraging even informal contacts with Iranian officials.

The two countries have no diplomatic relations and the ban on substantive discussions remains in place, but this 4 July American diplomats will be allowed to go beyond the courtesy handshake and engage in small talk with their Iranian counterparts.

Does this implies that US (or any other nation) thinks that its diplomats should even talk (informally/formally) with their counterparts who are from enemy nation?

This looks quite immature to me that if I find some differences with someone in one or two things, I would completely stop talking with that person. I am trying to understand how one nation should act with its enemies (nations that has differences) particularly in the situations like described in the linked news (July 4, festivities, or any other occasions that are not related to current differences).

Physics news on Phys.org
Informal conversation can still lead to a diplomatic incident. Also you would expect policy require no informal contact, it doesn't necessarily mean diplomats adhere to it.

I don't know anything about it, of course

Last edited:
I believe such prohibitions are generally symbolic. They are afraid of how it will look.

neu said:
Informal conversation can still lead to a diplomatic incident. Also you would expect policy require no informal contact, it doesn't necessarily mean diplomats adhere to it.

I don't know anything about it, of course

People (especially those at home) tend to blow all kinds of things out of proportion, even when you're just saying hello:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Israeli...with_leaders_of_Syria,_Iran_at_Pope's_funeral

Or, even when you're leaning over to the king of your country's ally (Obama vis a vis King Abdullah).

I think one also has to remember that the last time the US had a diplomatic relationship with Iran, they imprisoned their diplomats and their families for more than a year. That may explain the US's wariness of repeating this.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think one also has to remember that the last time the US had a diplomatic relationship with Iran, they imprisoned their diplomats and their families for more than a year. That may explain the US's wariness of repeating this.

There doesn't need to be an embassy in Iran for the US to have diplomatic relations with them.

Vanadium 50 said:

US is then justified in its policies for Iran. But, was it essential for Iran to imprison US diplomats? Did it achieve anything? Was it in the interest of Iran (or any country) to take those actions when considering that they are going to be here for another thousands of years (long term)?

This is not just Iran or US. But I think most nations just try to over symbolize their differences or take immature actions.

What is the definition of a "relationship with an enemy"?

A relationship with an enemy is a connection or bond between two individuals or groups who view each other as adversaries or opponents. This can take many forms, such as a personal rivalry, a political conflict, or a historical feud.

Can an enemy become a friend?

Yes, it is possible for an enemy to become a friend. This often requires a significant change in the relationship, such as a resolution of the conflict or a shift in perspective. It also requires effort and willingness from both parties to rebuild trust and understanding.

How can a relationship with an enemy affect one's mental health?

A relationship with an enemy can have a negative impact on one's mental health. It can cause stress, anxiety, and feelings of anger or resentment. It can also lead to a sense of isolation and distrust. However, it is important to note that each individual may react differently and there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

What are some strategies for managing a relationship with an enemy?

Some strategies for managing a relationship with an enemy include setting boundaries, practicing empathy and understanding, finding common ground, and communicating openly and respectfully. It may also be helpful to seek support from a therapist or mediator to work through difficult emotions and find productive ways to navigate the relationship.

Is it possible to have a healthy relationship with an enemy?

It may be challenging, but it is possible to have a healthy relationship with an enemy. This requires both parties to actively work towards understanding and respecting each other's perspectives and boundaries. It may also involve setting clear and healthy boundaries and finding ways to communicate effectively and peacefully.