1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative brightness

1. Apr 14, 2004 #1
    Assuming there are five identical light bulbs. Light bulb C and D are in a series connection. C and D are in a parallel connection with E. Light Bulb A and B are in a parallel connection. The two parallel connections are wired in a series connection. What would be their relative brightness? I'm thinking that A=B=E=C+D

|----power---------------|
    |*******************|
    |*******************|
    |**|--A--|***|-C-D-|**|
    |---|****|----|****|---|
    ***|--B--|***|--E--|***

in a parallel connection, It=I1+I2, therefore, A=B. In a seriese connection, The total current equals the individual currents, so C=D. Back to the parallel connection, C+D=E. In a series, they are all equal, so (A+B)=(E+C+D). Therefore...A=B=E=C+D. My friend said that it might be: C^D<A^B<E

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2004 #2
    EDIT: Ignore this post! I misread your diagram; Chi Meson has it right in the next post.

Empire,

Think of it more as an electrical problem first, and then worry about brightness.

Suppose your power source is a voltage of 100V.

What's the voltage across the B-E branch?

So what's the voltage across B? Across E?

What's the voltage across the A-CD branch?

So What's the voltage across A (be careful!)? Across CD ? Across C? Across D?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  4. Apr 16, 2004 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another way to think of it: The brightest bulb will have the most current going through it.

Obviously,the total current through the entire A/B unit will equal the total current through the C/D/E unit. And the current through A and B is equal, and each gets exactly half the total current.

So ask yourself, where will more current go, through the C-D branch, or the E branch?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?