1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Change

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Hello All

I have this problem that I have no idea how to do.

F = flux or the volume of blood to flow past a point

R = radius

F=kR^4

Show that the relative change in F is about four times the relative change in R. How will a 5% increase in radius affect the flow of Blood??

How in the world do I do this?? What is Relative Change?? My text book does not have this term

I think I need to have 2 equations F = kR^4 and R = (F/k)^(1/4). Not sure what to do.

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Relative change is the ratio of how much a quantity changes to its starting value.

In your problem, F varies as the 4th power of R which you wrote as [itex]F = k R^4[/itex]. Here's one way to get the needed "formula."

Clearly, if F changes, there will be a corresponding change in the value of R and vice versa. Suppose these changes are [itex]\delta F[/itex] and [itex]\delta R[/itex]. Using the relation between F and R, those changes result in

[tex]F + \delta F = k \left(R + \delta R\right)^4[/tex]

Now expand the expression on the right (we don't have to do the whole thing because we're going to assume that the changes are small!) so we have, approximately

[tex]F + \delta F = k \left(R^4 + 4 R^3 \delta R + \cdot \cdot \cdot\right)[/tex]

Snce [tex]F = k R^4[/itex] those two terms cancel and to first order in the small variations we find

[tex]\delta F = 4 k R^3 \delta R[/tex]

Finally, divide both sides by [itex]F = k R^4[/itex] so that

[tex]\frac {\delta F}{F} = 4 \frac {\delta R}{R}[/tex]

which compares the relative error in F to the relative error in R. We could have accomplished the same thing using calculus but I wasn't sure if that is in your toolkit.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    This post is pretty old but I came across the same problem. Using calculus, the relative change would be

F'(R)/F(R)

if F(R) = kR^4, then F'(R) = 4KR^3 dR

So the relative change is:

4kR^3 dR
    -----------
    kR^4

What you are left with is

4 * (dR/R)

This means that the relative change in F is 4 times the relative change in R.

Now, if there is 5% increase, then the change in radius is dR/R = 5% = 0.05. So you would plug that back into your relative change equation:

4 * (0.05) = .2 = 20%

If there is a 5% increase in the radius, then the flow increases by 20%. Which follows that the relative change in F (20%) is 4 times the change in radius ( 4 * 5%).

Is this forum LaTeX supported?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?