Relative Density Word Problem

In summary, the person is trying to find the gravitational force of a person on different planets, using Newton's law of gravity. They first calculate the gravitational force on each planet using Newtons law of gravity, and then rearrange the equations in terms of mass for each planet. They then calculate the density of each planet and calculate the gravitational force using the equation divided by the density.
Taylor_1989
Homework Statement
A person living on a planet which has half the radius of the earth, realizes that he can throw a rock 10 times further than he can on earth.

Estimate the relative density of this planet compared to that of earth. Ignore any effect of air resistance.
Relevant Equations
$$F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{d^2}$$

$$\rho=M*V$$
So I am a bit stuck on this question as my result using the above equations dose not give an numerical value which I assume from the question is needed.

So here my method for solving

My first thought was that if on the planet the person can throw a rock 10 time further then that it implies in any direction. So I took the vertical direction, for each planet which is demonstrated by my diagram below.

diagram-20190406.png

The I used Newtons law of gravity to calculate the gravity on each planet like so.

$$g_e=\frac{GM_e}{d^2}=\frac{GM_e}{(r_e+x)^2}$$$$g_p=\frac{GM_p}{d^2}=\frac{GM_p}{4(r_e+20x)^2}$$

I then rearranged each equation in terms of the mass for each planet.

$$M_e=\frac{g_e(r_e+x)^2}{G}$$

$$M_p=\frac{g_p4(r_p+x)^2}{G}$$

Next I calculated the density of each planet

$$\rho_e=M_e(\frac{4}{3}\pi r_e^3)$$

$$\rho_p=M_p(\frac{1}{6}\pi r_p^3)$$

The by dividing the two density's

$$\frac{\rho_p}{\rho_e}=\frac{M_p}{2M_e}$$

I then sub in my mass equation from earlier and with some manipulation I from the following

$$\frac{\rho_p}{\rho_e}=\frac{g_p(r_e+20x)^2}{8g_e(r_e+x)^2}$$

My issue is, that from the question I believe I am suppose to have some sort of numerical value but can't seem to figure a away of getting one.

Which leaves me with the question

1. What have I assumed wrong in this question, by using the method I have displayed above?

Addtional thought. I was just thinking that if I was on the Earth my distance in x would be x<<$r_e$ and the same goes for the planet 20x<<$r_e$, so could I assumen this in my equation above?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to worry about the change in gravity during the flight of the rock. You can assume the distance is very small compared with the radius of the planet.

Likes Taylor_1989
I'm not sure about how to get a numerical ratio of the densities yet but will let you know if I do. If it helps though, you've used MV for density as opposed to M/V. What was your reasoning for adding the distance traveled by the rock to the radius of the planets? Thanks!

Likes Taylor_1989
rdishy said:
I'm not sure about how to get a numerical ratio of the densities yet but will let you know if I do. If it helps though, you've used MV for density as opposed to M/V. What was your reasoning for adding the distance traveled by the rock to the radius of the planets? Thanks!
It okay i figured it now, but thanks for the response. I did try an mark the post a solved but cannot find the button

What is relative density?

Relative density, also known as specific gravity, is a measure of how dense a substance is compared to another substance. It is calculated by dividing the density of the substance by the density of water.

How do you solve a relative density word problem?

To solve a relative density word problem, you first need to identify the given information, including the densities of the substances involved. Then, use the formula for relative density (density of substance/density of water) to calculate the relative density. Finally, compare the relative densities to determine which substance is more dense.

What are some real-life examples of relative density?

Some examples of relative density in everyday life include oil floating on water, ice cubes sinking in alcohol, and helium balloons rising in air. In all of these cases, the substances have different densities, causing them to separate based on their relative densities.

What units are used to measure relative density?

Relative density is typically measured in units of grams per milliliter (g/mL) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3). These units represent the mass or weight of a substance per unit volume.

What is the significance of relative density in science?

Relative density is an important concept in science as it helps us understand the behavior of different substances and how they interact with each other. It is also used in various industries, such as food and beverage production, to determine the quality and purity of substances.