Relative Difficulty of Math classes

In summary: I think that's about it for the easiest ones. I've taken Algebra I, Algebra II, Calculus I, and Calculus II and they've all been hard in their own way. I don't think that there is one particular class that's easy or hard, it's more about how you approach the material. Most of the time I feel like I'm just slogging through it, but occasionally I'll be really understanding something and it will be a breeze.The hardest class that I've taken so far has definitely been Linear Algebra. I don't think that there is one particular class that's easy or hard, it's more about how you approach the material. Most of the time I feel like I'm just slog
courtrigrad
What is the "organic chemistry" class in math? Is real analysis considered by many to be this type of class? In your opinion, what have been your easiest/most difficult math classes (in ascending order)?

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It totally depends on the person. For me: it's combinatorics / graph theory.

they are all hard. calculus is the hardest. if it isn't hard you are being cheated.

i thought linear algebra class was hard. I understood the concepts well, probably better than most people in the class, but I tended to make too many stupid computation mistakes. When you're given a 4x4 complex matrix on the exam and are asked to find the inverse as well as jordan canonical form, it's really easy to make a simple sign error like i*i = 1 instead of i*i=-1 and of course if you do it early enough in a long and involved thing like diagonalization it can really screw you up bad.

Most people I know would probably say calc 3 integrals, especially surface integrals, for some reason. But I don't think they're that bad, they're almost algorithmic to solve if you know a couple tricks.

I think algebraic topology is the hardest...so abstract.

Nah - at the time - complex function analysis.

jbusc said:
When you're given a 4x4 complex matrix on the exam and are asked to find the inverse as well as jordan canonical form, it's really easy to make a simple...

Why the heck would anyone do that by hand? That's not mathematics, that's a computational problem. :grumpy:

Rach3 said:
Why the heck would anyone do that by hand? That's not mathematics, that's a computational problem. :grumpy:

lol, you can tell that to my prof :)

honestly, I think I learned a lot in that class. The tests weren't...umm...yeah, but the lectures were great. It was advanced applied linear algebra and he covered everything from intro to vector spaces, some hilbert space+infinite dimensional vector spaces, Fourier series, complex linear algebra, jordan canonical form, finite-field linear algebra, boolean, gray, and error correcting codes, and elementary operators+quantum theory(spin and stern-gerlach)

couldn't really get more comprehensive than that :)

Depends on the teacher too. Generally the linear algebra class here is considered easy, but last spring one of the teachers got in an experimental mood. There was no textbook, he didn't teach, and you weren't supposed to use outside help. You were supposed to derive everything yourself. I didn't take this class, but I've never seen so many stressed people.

At my school, the "organic chemistry" of the math department is the junior level Intro to Real Analysis. As one of my favorite math profs said, "This is the class that turns math majors into engineers," which I thought was pretty funny.

P.S. All you engineers please don't take this as an insult, I think my prof's comment was to illustrate that this course has very little pragmatic application, not that all engineers are failed math majors.

At my school I have heard that Linear Algebra is also supposed to be farily easy, the classes more like Org Chem would have to be Diff Eq, or one of Real or Complex Analysis. As for somoene who mentioned earlier that Calc 3 integrals can be rather tough, that scares me as I am in Calc 3 currently, So far it has been not too bad but we are ust getting into Partial Deriviatives, we are currently working through Kepler's Laws.

math is hard :(

unit_circle said:
At my school, the "organic chemistry" of the math department is the junior level Intro to Real Analysis. As one of my favorite math profs said, "This is the class that turns math majors into engineers," which I thought was pretty funny.

P.S. All you engineers please don't take this as an insult, I think my prof's comment was to illustrate that this course has very little pragmatic application, not that all engineers are failed math majors.

It's ok, I could easily say thermodynamics is the class that turns engineers into math majors. :tongue2:

Abstract algebra and Advanced Calculus are the most difficult from my experience.

I'm lucky that I minored in math (linear algebra) because it's very useful for quantum chemistry.

unit_circle said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm a math major (as I look at my field and wave electromagnetics book)

Intro Real Analysis, and depending on the proffesor, Complex Variables.

devolopmental maths, and quantam information were the hardest for me

Topology

I vote for topology too. I think calc is easy. Very concrete. Linear Algrebra is easy too. Topology takes the cake. It is STRANGE! Maybe abstract algebra. That is odd too.

Yeah, I always found calculus to be a very logical and clear subject...not that abstract at all, even in multivariable calc.

leright said:
Yeah, I always found calculus to be a very logical and clear subject...not that abstract at all, even in multivariable calc.

Take calculus to the manifolds and you will see some more abstract ideas...

Two words: Differential Geometry. The first homework assignment basically makes you derive Linear Algebra.

mathwonk said:
they are all hard. calculus is the hardest. if it isn't hard you are being cheated.

So not only am I being cheated, but I also suck at the cheated version? :cry:

I found Diff EQ's to be painful (compared to Multivariable calc and linear algebra), since I couldn't visualize it. Sequences and series were pretty bad too, though, although I think that had more to do with me being asleep during class than anything else.

In fact, most of the hard math I've taken, I haven't had an interest in, because I haven't had to use it in physics yet. It's all just been "here, learn this" without a "ok, now we're going to use it".

Until this quarter... :(

1. What factors contribute to the relative difficulty of math classes?

The relative difficulty of math classes can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the complexity of the concepts being taught, the level of prerequisite knowledge required, the teaching style of the instructor, and the amount of practice and reinforcement provided.

2. Are there certain math classes that are generally considered more difficult than others?

While difficulty can vary from person to person, there are some math classes that are typically considered more challenging, such as advanced calculus, abstract algebra, and differential equations. These classes often require a strong foundation in basic math concepts and can involve abstract thinking and complex problem-solving.

3. How can a student determine if a math class will be challenging for them?

Students can determine the potential difficulty of a math class by looking at the course description, syllabus, and prerequisite requirements. They can also talk to the instructor or other students who have taken the class to get a better understanding of the course content and expectations.

4. What can students do to make a difficult math class more manageable?

Some strategies for managing a difficult math class include attending all lectures and actively participating, seeking help from the instructor or tutoring services, practicing regularly and completing all assignments, and collaborating with classmates to study and review material.

5. Is it possible to improve in a math class if a student is struggling?

Yes, it is possible to improve in a math class even if a student is struggling. By identifying areas of weakness and seeking help to address them, practicing consistently, and staying determined and motivated, students can make progress and improve their understanding and performance in the class.