Relative Distance: Traveling at .9c

• Thread starter nate808
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, if you are traveling at a fraction of the speed of light towards an object, the distance between you and the object from your viewpoint will appear to be half of what it appears from the observer's viewpoint. This is considering that the observer is at rest with respect to your destination and the frames of reference are stated.
nate808
If I am traveling at a good fraction of the speed of light (.9c for example) toward an object, how would the distance between the object and myself from my viewpoint compare to the that of an observers viewpoint

Physics news on Phys.org
nate808 said:
If I am traveling at a good fraction of the speed of light (.9c for example) toward an object, how would the distance between the object and myself from my viewpoint compare to the that of an observers viewpoint

I presume you mean traveling at that speed with respect to the observer and that the observer is at rest with respect to your destination; you always have to state your frames of reference. So if you were traveling a .866c relative to this observer (I picked that value because its numbers come out nice) then your measurement of the distance to the object would be just half of what the observer would measure. If he said "that ship is 2 light years from its goal" you would be saying "I have only one light year to go."

Last edited:

From your viewpoint, the distance between yourself and the object would appear to be shorter than it would from the viewpoint of an observer who is not moving at such a high speed. This is due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are consequences of Einstein's theory of relativity.

According to time dilation, time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. As you are traveling at .9c, time will be passing slower for you compared to an observer who is stationary. This means that the distance between yourself and the object will appear to be shorter because time is passing at a slower rate for you.

Length contraction, on the other hand, states that objects appear shorter in the direction of motion for an observer who is moving at high speeds. So, from your viewpoint, the object will appear to be shorter in distance compared to an observer who is not moving at .9c.

In summary, traveling at .9c will make the distance between yourself and the object appear shorter due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This phenomenon is known as relative distance, where the distance between two objects appears different from different points of view.

1. What is relative distance?

Relative distance is a measure of the distance between two objects or points in space, taking into account the relative motion between them.

2. What does traveling at .9c mean?

Traveling at .9c means traveling at 90% of the speed of light, which is approximately 270,000 kilometers per second.

3. How does traveling at .9c affect relative distance?

Traveling at .9c causes time dilation, which means that time moves slower for the moving object compared to a stationary observer. This can also affect the perception of distance between objects.

4. Can relative distance be measured at speeds other than .9c?

Yes, relative distance can be measured at any speed. However, the effects of time dilation and length contraction become more significant as the speed approaches the speed of light.

5. How is relative distance calculated at .9c?

Relative distance at .9c can be calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations, which take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. These equations use the speed of light and the relative velocity between the two objects to determine their distance from each other.