1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative error from heck

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    I asked this question a couple of days ago, and I have been working on it a lot since then. Please see if you know what I can do next

Here is the question:
    Suppose a computer program is available which yields values for arcsin y in floating point representation with t decimal mantissa places and for |y|<=1 subject to a relative error eps with |eps|<=10exp-t. In view of the relation

arctan x = arcsin [x/(sqrt(1+x^2)]

this program could also be used to evaluate arctan x. Determine for which values x this procedure is numerically stable by estimating the relative error.

I have calculated the relative error by taking the derivative of the RHS and multiplying that by x/arctan x, which is the realtive error equation, but it makes no sense to me. What do I do with it now? I got

relative error = (x^3/arctanx)[(1+x^2)^3/2 + (1+x^2)^1/2]*(epsilon of x)

Thanks for any input,
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted