1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relative Extrema

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find a, b, c, and d such that the function defined by :
    f(x) = ax3+bx2+cx+d
    will have a relative extrema at points (1,2) and (2,3).

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the given critical points, I am able to know that when x=1 or x=2, f'(x)=3ax2+2bx+c should be equal to zero.

Therefore f'(x) should have factors like (x-1) and (x-2) or in simplified form x2-3x+2. Now my problem is that how should I relate the two equations of f'(x) for me to be able to solve for the said unknowns?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well you know f'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0 when x=1 and x=2, So substitute that in. You will get two equations which you can view as linear equations in the variables a, b, c, d, with the coefficient of d being zero.

What else do you need to solve this system and how can you get that information?

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3
    >>> after getting the two equations: 3a + 2b + c and 12a + 4b + c, what will I do... I still could not find a way to get the values of a, b, c, and d... after eliminating c, I only get 9a + 2b giving two variables unknown still.. help.. :(

5. Mar 3, 2010 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You can get two more equations. Look at all your information again!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook