G-Forces on a Rollercoaster Ride: Exploring Centripetal Acceleration

In summary, the rider on a rollercoaster going over a hill with a velocity and radius that produces a centripetal acceleration of 15 m/s^2 experiences a relative g environment of 5 m/s^2 upwards and feels 1/2 g upwards. When the rollercoaster goes down into a valley and experiences the same centripetal acceleration, the rider experiences a relative g environment of 2.5 g upwards and feels 2.5 g upwards. The force of gravity provides the downward acceleration in both scenarios, while the normal force and centrifugal effect contribute to the upward acceleration experienced by the rider.
Oscar Wilde

Homework Statement

A rollercoaster car is going over a hill, with a person sitting with -no- restraints. The velocity of the car and radius of the hill are such that the centripetal acceleration of the cart is 15 m/s^2. What is the relative g environment (for the rider) and how many g's does he feel?

Homework Equations

g= 10m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a conceptual problem. I reason that because the car is accelerating down, away from the rider, the rider is accelerating upwards at 15 m/s^2 relative to the car. I understand that there is no force "pushing" the rider up. However, he is also being accelerated downward by the force of gravity at 10 m/s^2. By subtraction I have come to the conclusion that the relative g environment for the rider is 5 m/s^2 upwards, and that he feels 1/2 g (up).

Is this right? Have I made mistakes? If so, please explain. Also, if the car were to go down into a valley, and centripetally accelerate at 15 m/s^2 , what kind of a g environment would that produce on the passenger?

All help appreciated,

Oscar

Physics news on Phys.org
1/2 g up looks like the right answer.

Hmm ok thanks, do you have any ideas about the second scenario?

Oscar Wilde said:
Hmm ok thanks, do you have any ideas about the second scenario?

Acceleration is a vector too, so ... they would add to 2.5 g's then wouldn't they?

LowlyPion said:
Acceleration is a vector too, so ... they would add to 2.5 g's then wouldn't they?

Ooo I see now. The force of gravity provides the upward acceleration in the first, but the normal force causes the upward acceleration in the second? I believe this is true

Thanks for the help, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Oscar

Oscar Wilde said:
Ooo I see now. The force of gravity provides the upward acceleration in the first, but the normal force causes the upward acceleration in the second? I believe this is true

Thanks for the help, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Oscar

Not quite. The force of gravity is down in both cases.

At the top of the hill the centripetal acceleration is on the car. The person is experiencing however a centrifugal outward effect because he is not secured to the car. Upward 1.5 down 1 = .5

At the bottom the radial accelerations are reversed. There is the downward effect of gravity and the centrifugal effect. 1 + 1.5 = 2.5

1. What is a "G-Force" on a rollercoaster ride?

A "G-Force" is a unit of measurement for acceleration that is equal to the force of gravity on an object. On a rollercoaster ride, G-Forces are created by the acceleration of the ride and can be experienced as a feeling of weight or pressure on the body.

2. How are G-Forces created on a rollercoaster ride?

G-Forces are created by the centripetal acceleration of the rollercoaster. This is the acceleration that keeps the ride moving in a circular motion and is caused by the force of the track pushing against the train and the riders inside.

3. What is the maximum G-Force experienced on a rollercoaster ride?

The maximum G-Force experienced on a rollercoaster ride can vary depending on the design and speed of the ride. Some rollercoasters can reach up to 5 G's, while others may only reach 2-3 G's. The maximum G-Force experienced also depends on the individual rider's position on the ride and their body's ability to withstand the force.

4. What factors can affect the G-Forces experienced on a rollercoaster ride?

The speed, direction, and shape of the track can all affect the G-Forces experienced on a rollercoaster ride. Other factors such as the weight and position of the riders, as well as the design of the train and restraints, can also impact the G-Forces experienced.

5. Are G-Forces on a rollercoaster ride dangerous?

In most cases, G-Forces experienced on a rollercoaster ride are not dangerous. The human body can typically withstand up to 5 G's for short periods of time without any negative effects. However, individuals with certain health conditions or who are pregnant should consult with a doctor before riding high-intensity rollercoasters with high G-Forces.