1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative g's

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rollercoaster car is going over a hill, with a person sitting with -no- restraints. The velocity of the car and radius of the hill are such that the centripetal acceleration of the cart is 15 m/s^2. What is the relative g environment (for the rider) and how many g's does he feel?

2. Relevant equations

g= 10m/s^2

3. The attempt at a solution

This is a conceptual problem. I reason that because the car is accelerating down, away from the rider, the rider is accelerating upwards at 15 m/s^2 relative to the car. I understand that there is no force "pushing" the rider up. However, he is also being accelerated downward by the force of gravity at 10 m/s^2. By subtraction I have come to the conclusion that the relative g environment for the rider is 5 m/s^2 upwards, and that he feels 1/2 g (up).

Is this right? Have I made mistakes? If so, please explain. Also, if the car were to go down into a valley, and centripetally accelerate at 15 m/s^2 , what kind of a g environment would that produce on the passenger?

All help appreciated,

Oscar

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

1/2 g up looks like the right answer.

4. May 27, 2009 #3
    Hmm ok thanks, do you have any ideas about the second scenario?

5. May 27, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Acceleration is a vector too, so ... they would add to 2.5 g's then wouldn't they?

6. May 27, 2009 #5

Ooo I see now. The force of gravity provides the upward acceleration in the first, but the normal force causes the upward acceleration in the second? I believe this is true

Thanks for the help, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Oscar

7. May 27, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not quite. The force of gravity is down in both cases.

At the top of the hill the centripetal acceleration is on the car. The person is experiencing however a centrifugal outward effect because he is not secured to the car. Upward 1.5 down 1 = .5

At the bottom the radial accelerations are reversed. There is the downward effect of gravity and the centrifugal effect. 1 + 1.5 = 2.5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook