1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Minimum Problem

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be a function given by f(x)= x^3 - 5x^2 + 3x + K, where k is a constant. Find the value of k for which f has 11 as it's relative minimum.

2. Relevant equations

f(x)= x^3 - 5x^2 + 3x + K

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I found the derivative of f(x), found the critcal numbers, and then tested for relative minimum. There was a relative minimum at x=3. Now I'm not quite sure what to do so that 11 is a relative min.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if the minimum is AT x= 3, what is the value of that minimum? That is, what is f(3)?

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    I plugged in 3 for f(x) and got -9 + k = f(x)

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    what di I do about the K?

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    drand,
    Perhaps the point of the k is that you plug in a (K)onstant that will make the function equal to what you have listed. So if x=3 is the x-coordinate of the minimum, and you are saying it needs to be 11, what value could you put in for k that will make the equation true for both criteria?

7. Dec 11, 2008 #6
    Oh, so because at the min pt is at (3,-9), I just have to shift the graph up so that the min pt would be (3,11). This means that the k value would have to be 20, right?

8. Dec 11, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the minimum point is NOT at (3, -9). It is at (3, -9+ k) and you want -9+ k= 11. Just solve that equation. (You get the same answer of course.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?