1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Motion Analysis: Acceleration

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A slotted link AC is is driven by the peg P connected to a rotating disk. Point A is fixed. Determine the link's angular velocity, [itex] \omega_{ac}[/itex] and acceleration, [itex] \alpha_{ac}[/itex] when the angular velocity and acceleration are [itex] \omega [/itex] and [itex] \alpha [/itex], respectively.
    [itex] \omega = 6 \frac{rad}{s} [/itex] CCW
    [itex] \alpha = 10 \frac{rad}{s^2} [/itex] CCW
    [itex] l_{ap} = 0.75 \hspace{1 mm} m [/itex]
    [itex] r_{op} = 0.30 \hspace{1 mm} m [/itex]
    [itex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{6} [/itex]
    kBBmaLU.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I should state that I am genuinely lost on this problem. I am not sure at all how to go about finding the angular velocity for this one. For the acceleration I was thinking that I could perhaps draw an acceleration diagram and attempt to find the solution that way. Maybe I could do something similar for the velocity? I was hoping someone could sort of push me in the right direction/inform me whether there is a better way to solve this rather than a graphical approach. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The diagram uses theta for two different things... probably because they have the same size at t=0.
    Play with the setup for different angles to P ... OP has a constand angular velocity so you can redo the sketch for equal times ans get a feel for what is happening.
    There are several approaches but try finding the equation of the angle of the link as a function of time aband differentiating.

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. One thought I did have was to consider this as a crank and slotted lever mechanism, where the disk is the crank. Could I do an analysis this way? Or would it be too inaccurate?

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe - I'd do it directly by geometry myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted