Calculating Relative Motion Using Time and Distance Equations

In summary, a man runs along a moving sidewalk for 2.50 seconds and then runs back along the sidewalk for 8.00 seconds. The ratio of the man's running speed to the sidewalk's speed can be found by equating the distances traveled in both runs.
uberbandgeek6
A suspicious-looking man runs as fast as he can along a moving sidewalk from one end to the other, taking 2.50 s. Then security agents appear and the man runs as fast as he can back along the sidewalk to his starting point, taking 8.00 s. What is the ratio of the man's running speed to the sidewalk's speed? (running speed / sidewalk speed)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your attempt at the solution?

I'm not sure how to go about it. I set up the velocities as V(with)=length/2.5 and V(against)=length/8, but I'm not sure what to do from there.

How do I work around the fact that i don't know the length of the sidewalk?

You know that both times he travels the same distance. What you need to do is find an expression that would give you the distance for run 1 and run 2. You can then equate them because you know the distance should be the same and you should be able to find the answer from there.

What is relative motion in 1D?

Relative motion in 1D refers to the movement of an object in relation to a reference point or frame of reference. It is the change in position of an object with respect to another object or observer.

How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the perspective of an observer, whereas absolute motion is independent of any observer or reference point. In other words, relative motion is the movement of an object as seen by a particular observer, while absolute motion is the actual movement of an object in space.

What is the formula for relative motion in 1D?

The formula for relative motion in 1D is: Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the change in position, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

Can relative motion be negative?

Yes, relative motion can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point or observer. In this case, the change in position (Δx) will have a negative value.

How is relative motion affected by velocity and acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration affect relative motion by determining the speed and direction of an object's movement in relation to a reference point. An object with a higher velocity will have a greater change in position (Δx) over a certain time period, while an object with a non-zero acceleration will be changing its velocity (and therefore its relative motion) over time.