Relative Motion of a Motorcyclist on a Rotating Bike

In summary, the conversation discusses a motorcyclist accelerating rapidly and causing the bike to rest on its back wheel. The midpoint of the back wheel also accelerates horizontally with constant acceleration. The entire bike rotates with angular velocity and acceleration, while the forward wheel rotates with constant angular velocity. The distance between the wheel axis is given as l. The conversation focuses on finding the velocity and acceleration of point A relative to the ground, and the role of angular velocity of the entire bike in determining the relative velocity. The conversation also addresses a potential issue with interpreting rotations and clarifies the direction of angular velocities.
usn7564

Homework Statement

A motorcyclist accelerates rapidly so the bike entirely rests on the back wheel, while the midpoint of the back wheel O' accelerates with constant acceleration a_o' horizontally.
The entire bike rotatoes with angular velocity [tex]\frac{d}{dt} \theta[/tex] and angular acceleration [tex] \frac{d^2}{dt^2} \theta[/tex], while the forward wheel rotates with constant angular velocity [tex]\omega_o[/tex]. The distance between the wheel axis is l. Observe the point A, note that the radius is perp. to e_x', and find the velocity and acceleration relative to the ground.
O's velocity is given by [tex]\bar{v}_{o'}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \bar{v} = \bar{v}_{sp} + \bar{v}_{rel}[/tex]

[tex] \bar{v}_{sp} = \bar{v}_{o'} + \bar{\omega} \times \bar{r}_{rel}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found v_sp without any issues (inserting into formulas, essentially) but run into problems at v_rel. It should be given by [tex]-(\frac{d}{dt} \theta + \omega_0)r\bar{e}_{x'}[/tex].
I don't understand how to get there at all, why would the relative velocity depend on the angular velocity of the entire bike at all? The coordinate system follows the bikes rotation so to my mind only the angular velocity of the wheel should matter for the point A. But if it depends on both of those how come they have the same sign? They are in opposite direction relative to each other. To add to that, as we have the angular velocity of the entire bike shouldn't the distance from the origin to A also matter?

Honestly not sure how to get the relative velocity when the point is rotation relative to the coordinate system.

Attachments

• acc.png
    acc.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
usn7564 said:
why would the relative velocity depend on the angular velocity of the entire bike at all? The coordinate system follows the bikes rotation so to my mind only the angular velocity of the wheel should matter for the point A. But if it depends on both of those how come they have the same sign? They are in opposite direction relative to each other. To add to that, as we have the angular velocity of the entire bike shouldn't the distance from the origin to A also matter?
Wrt sign, that's a matter of how you've interpreted the data. Unless otherwise stated, I would interpret all rotations in the same sense, but you've taken θ and ω0 to be in opposite senses.
It's not clear to me whether ω0 is supposed to be relative to the bike frame or relative to the ground. Would that explain it?

Likes 1 person
Yeah was getting lost in what's relative to what. My directions for the anglular velocities were correct, basically what I was missing was that if the wheel didn't have its 'own' rotation
[tex]\omega_0 = 0[/tex]

And the bike stands up on its back wheel the vector r->A will have the same direction (0, -r) unless there's friction (which there isn't in this ideal case). Then A will have rotated as much as the bike has, but in the opposite direction, relative to the bike frame that is.

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the perspective of the observer and the position of the objects in question.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to an object's movement in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference, while relative motion takes into account the movement of objects in relation to each other.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and relative acceleration?

Relative velocity is the rate at which the distance between two objects changes over time, while relative acceleration is the rate at which the relative velocity changes over time.

4. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to know the velocities of the two objects and the angle between their paths. Using vector addition, you can then determine the relative velocity by finding the resultant vector of the individual velocities.

5. What is the importance of studying relative motion in kinematics?

Studying relative motion in kinematics allows us to understand the relationship between objects in motion and how they interact with each other. It also helps us to predict and analyze the motion of objects in real-world scenarios, such as collisions and projectile motion.