1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Motion of a ship

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ship is traveling at 8.0 m/s at an angle of 50 degrees north of east relative to the water. The water moves at 3 m/s due south relative to the shore.
    a- Determine the velocity of the ship relative to the shore.
    b- A person running along the deck of the ship moves at 2 m/s at 45 degrees south of west. What is his velocity relative to the shore?

2. Relevant equations

V= (Va cos angle a + Vb cos angle b) i-hat + (Va sin angle a + Vb sin angle b) j-hat
    3. The attempt at a solution

part a-
    (8cos50 + 3 cos -90) i-hat + (8sin 50 + 3 sin -90) j-hat =

5.14 m/s i-hat + -3.12 m/s j-hat

I am confused about part b. Do I need to factor in the motion of the ship that the person is on? Or do I combine his velocity with that of the water since it is measured relative to the shore?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    Well, for part a you wrote

V (ship w/res to water) + V (water w/res to shore) = V ship w/res to shore

Assuming the info for part b is a velocity w/res to the ship, where in the equation do you think you should add the new vector?

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Since the man is running in a different direction on the ship than the ship is moving, I thought I would have to create a new vector for his direction.

5. Sep 19, 2008 #4
    That is correct. You need to write V (person w/res to ship).

Now, based on how you did part a, how would you use this additional vector to find the person's velocity w/res to the shore?

6. Sep 19, 2008 #5
    I created a vector for the guy, which was (2 m/s cos 225) i + (2 m/s sin 225) j and added it to the ship to shore vector, giving me 3.73 m/s i + 1.72 m/s j.

Does that seem correct?

7. Sep 19, 2008 #6
    Yes, it does.

What you've done is

V (person w/res ship) +V (ship w/res to water) + V (water w/res to shore) = V (person w/res to shore)

8. Sep 19, 2008 #7
    I see. Thanks a lot for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?