1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative motion of ships

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two ships, A and B, leave port at the same time. Ship A travels northwest at 22 knots and ship B travels at 29 knots in a direction 40° west of south.

(a) What is the magnitude the velocity of ship A relative to B?

(b) What is the direction of the velocity of ship A relative to B?

(c) After what time will the ships be 125 nautical miles apart?

(d) What will be the bearing of B (the direction of B's position) relative to A at that time?

2. Relevant equations

V_aw=V_ab+V_b Where a is boat a, b is boat b, and w is the water-also aw is ship a's velocity with respect to the water, ab is the velocity of a with respect to b)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the componets of the two vectors(with respect to a y axis thats positive in the north direction and an x axis positive in the east direction) as:
    A=(-15.55i+15.55j) or (22cos45+22sin45)
    B=(-22.22i+-18.64j) or (29cos40+29sin40)

I've found these componets with respect to their own frames of reference, however the problems asks for the magnitude of the velocity of a with respect to b, so should I measure my angles of a from the b vector? I'm lost as to how to solve. Also I've come to the conclusion that this is addition( or subtraction) of vectors a and b, being that its a with respect to b however I'm not sure if it is B-A=C (with c being the velocity of a with respect to b)or A-B=C.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    So I'm looking for V_ab( velocity of a with respect to b), therefore the velocity of a(V_a) is equal to the velocity of b(V_B) plus the velocity of a with respect to b(V_ab) and I know both a and b so:

V_a=V_ab+V_b

22=V_ab+29

-7=V_ab

however is is showing as incorrect(I used 7 since it asked for the magnitude)

4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    I also tried the vector equations:

(V_ax+V_ay)=(V_abx+V_aby)+(V_bx+V_by)

or

(-15.55i+15.55j)=(V_abx+V_aby)+(-22.22i+18.64j)

so when I seperate the equations I get:

-15.55=V_abx-22.22

V_abx=6.67i

15.55=V_aby+18.64

V_aby=-3.09

therefore V_ab=(6.67i+3.09j)
    so the magnitude of V_ab should be 7.35
    Right?

5. Oct 22, 2008 #4
    I really need help with this, its due in a few hours. =/

6. Oct 23, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Jharr94! Welcome to PF! :smile:

West of south is between southwest and south.

You're using south of west. :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?