1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative motion problem

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I asked my teacher to clarify this question a bit more, and she said that the man wanted to end up exactly opposite to where he was on the west shore, or in other words, parallel to where he was from the east shore.

2. Relevant equations
    soh cah toa
    [tex]a^{2} + b^2 = c^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the answer is B), because in order for him to end up exactly opposite of where he is, he must go west.
    However, my teacher thinks that the answer is D). Who's right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    Can anyone help?
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    If he goes straight west, he won't land directly opposite of his starting position, since the river will have pushed him north. Therefore he must travel at some angle south of west.
  5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    Sorry, I meant to say that the man wanted to go straight west, so he had to go 10kkm/h at an angle. But the question is asking for the actual velocity, or in other words, the ground velocity, which is, as I think, 8.0 km/h west.
  6. Jan 22, 2008 #5
    Yes, I suppose it depends on your interpretation of the question then.
  7. Jan 22, 2008 #6
    Well it says actual motion.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?