Relative Motion: Solving Kinematic Problems with Multiple Moving Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses using kinematic equations and finding time to solve a problem involving relative motion. The difficulty lies in determining the relative velocity of the missile, which can be solved by considering its velocity in the lake's reference frame. Ultimately, the problem is successfully solved with the help of the professor's clarification.
btbam91
[PLAIN]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4435/relativemotion.jpg [Broken]

I'm having trouble on figuring out on how to go about this one.

I know that I have to use the kinematic equations for each dimensions, find time, and set the x components equal to each other, but the relative velocity of the missile is throwing me off.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In boat A's reference frame, boat B's velocity is Vbj, so what is boat B's velocity in the lake's reference frame?

Now do the same thing for the missile.

Once you have the missile's velocity in the lake's reference frame, you can solve the problem like a projectile motion problem.

So the missile velocity is relative to an observer on a?

So to find it's absolute velocity (with respect to the lake)

I do Vm-Va=the given relative missile velocity and solve for Vm?

I believe the problem is giving you the missile velocity relative to b

Yeah, it was (I asked my professor to clarify) and I was able to successfully solve the problem! Thank you!

But I do have one more problem that is a head scratcher!

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object or point of reference. It is the change in position of an object in relation to its surroundings.

2. What is the difference between relative motion and absolute motion?

The main difference between relative motion and absolute motion is the reference point. In relative motion, the movement of an object is described in relation to another object or point of reference, while in absolute motion, the movement is described in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference, such as the Earth.

3. How is relative motion calculated?

Relative motion can be calculated using the principles of vector addition. The velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point is the sum of its velocity in relation to another object and the velocity of that other object in relation to the fixed point.

4. Can relative motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, relative motion can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you are sitting in a moving vehicle, you can see objects outside the vehicle moving in relation to your position. Similarly, when you are walking, the objects around you appear to be moving in relation to your position.

5. How does relative motion affect time and distance measurements?

Relative motion can affect time and distance measurements as the measurements will be different depending on the frame of reference used. For example, the distance and time it takes for a car to travel from one point to another will be different for an observer standing on the side of the road compared to an observer inside the car. This is because their frames of reference are different.