Relative motion river problem

In summary, a rower's maximum speed in still water is 6.0 ft/s. He decides to cross a 60 ft. wide river (at his maximum speed), with an apparent heading of 30° north of east. The river's current (relative to the ground) is flowing south at a speed of 1.0 ft/s. Find the rower's speed and direction relative to the ground, as well as the total time it will take him to reach the other side of the river.
littlebearrrr

Homework Statement

A rower's maximum speed in still water is 6.0 ft/s. He decides to cross a 60 ft. wide river (at his maximum speed), with an apparent heading of 30° north of east. The river's current (relative to the ground) is flowing south at a speed of 1.0 ft/s. Find the rower's speed and direction relative to the ground, as well as the total time it will take him to reach the other side of the river. (Please let me know if you need clarification on this - I am recalling this problem from memory, and do not have the actual problem with me at the moment)

Homework Equations

vR/G = VW/G + VR/W
(where R=rower, W=water, G=ground)

Law of cosines: c2 = a2 + b2 - 2abcos(θ)
Law of sines: sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the vectors in a coordinate plane. I was able to determine the angle between the rower's apparent heading vector and the water's vector to be 60°. Using this, I plugged it into the law of cosines formula to obtain a speed of 5.77 ft/s. I then used the law of sines (with the water's speed and the rower's speed of 5.77 ft/s) to obtain the angle opposite the water's vector, which turned out to be about 8°. Subtracting this from 30°, I got about 22° north of east.

To find the time it takes to get across, I set up a right triangle, where the base represents the width of the river (60 ft), and the hypotenuse represents the distance the rower actually travels (with the angle between them 22°). Using trig, I found the hypotenuse to be about 64 ft. I then plugged this distance and the rower's speed of 5.77 ft/s into v=d/t to solve for t, and I obtained t= ~11s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

I solved this problem in a bit of a different way and my numbers were different from yours, but not by a large margin.

You can set it up in a vector notation first, and using the equation for relative motion that you had, I suggest setting this equation up in the fashion of Magnitude * unit vector.

So, if using this method, you will have an equation with three unknowns, so you know that you must create two more equations using the same variables.

First off, I get:

V(xi + yj) = 6(cos30i + sin30j) - 1(j)

i and j are the standard cartesian unit vectors, V is the magnitude of the rower's relative velocity, and x and y are the coefficients that are also unknown for the direction vector.

If you wanted to make two equations out of this, try splitting this equation into the x and y components.

You will still only have two equations, and the third equation can be easy to forget. I won't come out and say it explicitly, but just remember that the magnitude of a unit vector is always 1. After this it is just straight algebra and substitution.

I can give you the numbers I got if you try this method, or just want to check how close they were. Good luck!

Likes 1 person
Hi there! Wow, thank you for the very detailed explanation of your approach. I did not think to use vector notation to solve this problem. I'm going to try to solve this your way as soon as I get home from school!

By the way, I'm wondering if your numbers were actually 5.57 ft/s and 21 degrees? My numbers were probably slightly off because I was trying to remember what I got when I first solved this problem (so they were rough guesses). After redoing it again, though, those are the numbers I get.

Also - I was wondering if my way is still a valid approach (especially the last part where I need to find the time it takes to cross the river)?

littlebearrrr said:
Hi there! Wow, thank you for the very detailed explanation of your approach. I did not think to use vector notation to solve this problem. I'm going to try to solve this your way as soon as I get home from school!

By the way, I'm wondering if your numbers were actually 5.57 ft/s and 21 degrees? My numbers were probably slightly off because I was trying to remember what I got when I first solved this problem (so they were rough guesses). After redoing it again, though, those are the numbers I get.

Also - I was wondering if my way is still a valid approach (especially the last part where I need to find the time it takes to cross the river)?

The last part is actually exactly how I solved the total time as well, I think I just multiplied the base of the triangle times the tangent of your angle θ.

But yeah, V = d/t is completely applicable to that scenario, so yes, you're correct.

I am pretty sure that the approach you used is completely valid. I remember by velocity was something like 5.77 ft/s and my angle was a bit over 21°, and my total time was also ridiculously close to 11 seconds. So, different ways to do the same thing.

Overall, the rower's speed relative to the ground is 5.77 ft/s at a direction of 22° north of east. It will take him approximately 11 seconds to reach the other side of the river.

I would like to point out that this solution assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as wind speed, water turbulence, or the rower's physical limitations. In real-life situations, these factors could affect the rower's speed and direction, and the total time it takes to cross the river. It is important to consider all variables and limitations when solving problems in science.

What is the "relative motion river problem"?

The relative motion river problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object relative to the flow of a river. It is a common problem used to illustrate the principles of relative motion and vector addition.

What are the key factors to consider when solving a relative motion river problem?

The key factors to consider are the velocity of the river, the velocity of the object, and the angle between the direction of the river and the direction of the object's motion. These factors are used to determine the resultant velocity of the object.

Can the relative motion river problem be solved using basic algebra?

Yes, the relative motion river problem can be solved using basic algebra. It involves setting up equations to represent the velocities and using vector addition to find the resultant velocity.

How does the angle between the river and the object's motion affect the resultant velocity?

The angle between the river and the object's motion affects the magnitude and direction of the resultant velocity. A smaller angle will result in a larger magnitude of resultant velocity, while a larger angle will result in a smaller magnitude of resultant velocity. The direction of the resultant velocity will also be affected by the angle.

Can the relative motion river problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the relative motion river problem can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the speed and direction of a boat or swimmer in a river, or the speed and direction of a plane or bird flying in the wind.