1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Motion

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Relative Motion

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rami is running along the walkway so that his velocity relative to the ground is zero? How fast and in what direction is he running?

2. Relevant equations
    V(a,b)= V(a) - V(b)

3. The attempt at a solution

V= 0- V(b)

I am not really a sure where to start, because I'm a bit confused at to why only one but of data (velocity to the ground is zero) is given, im not sure if i am ment to use vectors of what, so any help would be greatly appreciated:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You marked the thread solved, was that an accident?

If not, you could use vectors, though it's basically a one-dimensional problem. Suppose that your velocity vector relative to the ground would be v if you just stood still on the walkway (so v is the velocity vector of the walkway, if you want). Suppose you have a velocity vector u relative to the walkway. What vector will express your speed relative to the ground?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?