How Far From the First Station Do Two Oppositely Accelerating Trains Meet?

In summary: You have to set up the equations correctly, and you have to understand what you are doing. This is not just a plug and chug calculation.In summary, the two trains start from rest at two stations 5.0 km apart and travel in opposite directions. One train has a constant acceleration of 2.5 m/s^2 and the other has a constant acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2. To find where and when they will meet, we can equate their position equations and solve for time. This gives us the time at which they will meet. From there, we can use the displacement equation to find their positions at that time and determine that they will meet at a distance of 97.5m from
OmniNewton

Homework Statement

Two trains start from rest from two stations 5.0 km apart and travel, on two parallel railroad tracks, in opposite directions. One train accelerates uniformly at 2.5 m/s^2 and the other has a constant acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2.
How far from the first station will they meet?

Homework Equations

1. d= at^2
2. v^2 = u^2+ 2ad
3. t= v-u/ a

The Attempt at a Solution

Train 1 relative to Train 2
Initial velocity = 0 m/s
Acceleration = 6.5 m/s^2
Displacement = 5000m

v^2 = u^2+ 2ad
v = Square root of u^2 + 2ad
v= Square root of 2ad
v= Square root of 2(6.5 m/s^2) (5000m)
v= Square root of 65000 m^2/s^2
v= + or - 255 m/s

t= v-u/ a
t= 255ms^-1/6.5m/s^-2
t= 39 seconds

Train 1

d= at^2 because initial velocity = 0
d= (2.5 ms^-1) (39 seconds)
d= 97.5m

Therefore they will meet 97.5m from the first station.

However this answer does not make sense to me because if I solve for distance with the other train it does not add to 5000m or 5.0 km. I do not know what I did wrong.

Thanks In Advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF OmniNewton!

OmniNewton said:

Homework Statement

Two trains start from rest from two stations 5.0 km apart and travel, on two parallel railroad tracks, in opposite directions. One train accelerates uniformly at 2.5 m/s^2 and the other has a constant acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2.
How far from the first station will they meet?

Homework Equations

1. d= at^2
2. v^2 = u^2+ 2ad
3. t= v-u/ a

This bit in red is wrong. The actual equation is:
d = d0 + v0t + (1/2)at2

Where d0 and v0 are the initial position and speed respectively. If these are both zero, it's still d = (1/2)at2. You are missing the factor of 1/2.

OmniNewton said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Train 1 relative to Train 2
Initial velocity = 0 m/s
Acceleration = 6.5 m/s^2
Displacement = 5000m

v^2 = u^2+ 2ad
v = Square root of u^2 + 2ad
v= Square root of 2ad
v= Square root of 2(6.5 m/s^2) (5000m)
v= Square root of 65000 m^2/s^2
v= + or - 255 m/s

t= v-u/ a
t= 255ms^-1/6.5m/s^-2
t= 39 seconds

There is a fundamental conceptual error here. You are assuming that the first train travels 5 km. It doesn't. The situation is that the two trains start out 5 km apart and head towards each other along parallel tracks. Since they are approaching each other, they will meet somewhere in the middle of the two stations, and you have to figure out where and when this occurs.

In any case, you do not need this equation v2 = u2 + 2ad. The two trains will "meet" when their positions are the same. So, write down an expression for the position vs. time of train 1. Now write down an expression for the position vs. time of train 2 (hint: it does not have the same starting position, and the sign of its acceleration is opposite). Equate these two expressions, and solve for t. This gives you the time at which they meet. From this, you can get the position of each one.

It actually all worked out once I used that equation d= at^2/2

5000m worked because train 1 relative to train 2 equates to 5000m

train 1's displacement = x

train 2's displacement = 5000m - x

so ultimately

train 1's displacement relative to train 2 has to be 5000m.

Correct me if I am wrong however.

But thank you very much for the help you really helped me and it is very much appreciated :D

Thank You Very Much For The Welcome.

OmniNewton said:
It actually all worked out once I used that equation d= at^2/2

5000m worked because train 1 relative to train 2 equates to 5000m

train 1's displacement = x

train 2's displacement = 5000m - x

so ultimately

train 1's displacement relative to train 2 has to be 5000m.

Correct me if I am wrong however.

But thank you very much for the help you really helped me and it is very much appreciated :D

Thank You Very Much For The Welcome.

If it worked out, then I guess your math must have been right, but what you are *saying* is totally wrong. First of all, train 1's *position* is x1. Its displacement is its change in position. Train 2's position is x2 relative to its station (or 5000 - x2 relative to the first station). Their separation (the distance between them) is NOT 5000 m at any time other than t = 0. E.g. at t = 0, x1 = 0 and x2 = 5000, so their separation is x2 - x1 = 5000 m. But suppose at some later time, the first train has moved 100 m along the track, and the second has moved 400 m along the track (totally made up numbers). So, train1's position (and displacement) is 100 m. Train 2's position (measured relative to the first station) is 5000 - 400 = 4600 m. Train 2's displacement is 400 m. The separation between the trains ("relative displacement") is 4600 m - 100 m = 4500 m. So, you can see that their relative distance is NOT 5000 m after t = 0, since they are moving *towards* each other.

Your approach to solving this problem is correct, but there is an error in your calculation for the final velocity of Train 1 relative to Train 2. The correct calculation should be v = √(u^2 + 2ad) = √(2(6.5 m/s^2)(5000m)) = √65000 m^2/s^2 = 255 m/s. This means that the trains will meet in 39 seconds, as you have correctly calculated, but at a distance of 97.5 m from the first station, as you have also calculated. Therefore, your final answer of 97.5 m is correct and does make sense. It is important to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is relative motion of a train?

The relative motion of a train refers to the movement of the train in relation to its surroundings. This can include the motion of the train in relation to the ground, other objects, or other moving vehicles.

2. Why is it important to understand relative motion of a train?

Understanding relative motion of a train is important for safety and efficiency. It allows us to predict and control the movement of the train in relation to its surroundings, which is crucial for preventing accidents and ensuring smooth operations.

3. How is relative motion of a train calculated?

Relative motion of a train can be calculated using vectors and the principles of relative motion. The velocity and direction of the train and its surroundings are taken into account to determine the overall relative motion of the train.

4. What factors can affect the relative motion of a train?

The relative motion of a train can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of the train, the shape and slope of the track, the presence of other objects or vehicles, and external forces such as wind or friction.

5. How does relative motion of a train differ from absolute motion?

Relative motion of a train is the movement of the train in relation to its surroundings, whereas absolute motion refers to the actual, independent movement of the train without any reference to its surroundings. Relative motion takes into account the perspective of an observer, while absolute motion does not.