Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative phase in infinite square well

1. Feb 18, 2005 #1
    This is a problem from my introductory quantum mechanics class. It's Griffifth's problem 2.6, if anyone has that book. The problem says to investigate the effect of adding two steady state solutions with a relative phase. Namely:

[tex] \Psi(x,0) = A [ \psi_1(x) + e^{i \phi} \psi_2 (x) ] [/tex]

where:

[tex] \psi_n(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin \left(\frac{n \pi}{a} x\right) [/tex]

He says to compare this to the case with no relative phase, and to study the special cases of phi=pi/2 and pi. But I get that the only difference is that it effectively shifts the time origin. For example, I get:

[tex] |\Psi(x,t)|^2 = \frac{1}{a}\left[\sin^2\left(\frac{\pi x}{a}\right) + \sin^2\left(\frac{2\pi x}{a}\right) + 2\sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{a}\right) \sin\left(\frac{2\pi x}{a}\right) \cos\left(\frac{3 \pi^2 \hbar t}{2 m a^2} - \phi\right) \right] [/tex]

This isn't anything that needs to be investigated, and the special cases look meaningless, which makes me think I've done something wrong. Have I?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean they look meaningless...?I think not.You added two wavefunctions corresponding to 2 stationary states and now judge what it came out of this addition.

Daniel.

4. Feb 18, 2005 #3
    I mean adding pi or pi/2 to that fraction with h's and a's isn't going to give anything special.

5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd say that u've gotten yourself a nostationary state...I don't see other effect...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?