Calculating Max Height in Relative Projectile Motion: Earth vs. Moving Elevator

In summary: This continues until the ball reaches 0 m/s, at which point it falls back down to the elevator.In summary, according to Newton's equations of motion, the second solution is the correct one. This is because the maximum height from the ground and the maximum height from the elevator are not reached simultaneously. The argument of using the cab as a frame of reference also supports this solution. Additionally, by calculating the time it takes for the events described in the second solution, it can be seen that the separation between them is larger than in the first solution. This is further supported by the fact that the ball initially travels faster than the elevator, but eventually falls back down to it.
chem3
Hello,

This is my first post here and I have the following question, please:

A body is thrown vertically upward from the surface of the Earth with an initial velocity of 7 m/s. Simultaneously an elevator cab starts to move upward from the same height the body was thrown from (the surface of the earth) with a constant velocity of 3 m/s. What is the max. height the body reaches relative to the cab's floor?

Two possible solutions I've thought of:

1- I calculated the max. height the body reaches relative to Earth's surface which was 2.45 m, and it took the body 0.7 sec to reach its max. height, and then I subtracted the height of the cab after 0.7 sec (= 2.1 m) from the 2.45 m max height and got 0.35 m as the max height of the body relative to the cab's floor.

or 2- I cosidered the cab as a frame of reference as it moves with a contant velocity, and that the body was thrown vertically with an initial velocity of 4 m/s (relative to the cab) and then used the equation:
V^2=Vi^2 + 2*g*H-max
with V=0 at max height and Vi=4 m/s (V of the body relative to the cab) and g=-10 m/s^2 we get:

H-max= max height = 16/20 = 0.8 m

Now, which solution is the right one (1 or 2 - 0.35 m or 0.8 m) and why?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second one is correct. Becouse in the first possiblety you falsely assume thet the maximum distance from the ground and the maximum distance from the elevatore are reached simultaneously, when in fact the maximum distance from the elevator is reached sooner.

Thanks for your reply LENIN!
Any other opinions, please?

Cause my teacher insists that the first solution is the right one, and I really need a strong argument (no relativity stuff please - all classical) to prove him wrong!

LENIN said:
The second one is correct. Becouse in the first possiblety you falsely assume thet the maximum distance from the ground and the maximum distance from the elevatore are reached simultaneously, when in fact the maximum distance from the elevator is reached sooner.

Well - considering Newton's classical equations of motion - the maximum height from the ground and the maximum height from the elevator are indeed reached simultaneously! AFAIK!

Any other opinions!

No they are not. When it's at the meximum distance from the elevator it's speed is 3 m/s upwards (relative to the ground) and when it's at maximum distance from the ground the speed is 0 m/s. As you can see the events can't be simultaneous.

As for the argument I believe that your argument about the cab as a frame of reference should suffice.

The second one is correct. I suggest you actually calculate how long it takes to reach the events described in the second solution, then show that, using the Earth as the frame of reference, they actually are separated by .8 m

Then you'll realize that it MUST be the correct answer, because .8 m is clearly greater than .35 m

Another way to look at it... when the ball is thrown up, it decellerates. However, at first it still travels faster than the elevator. Once the ball reaches a speed of 4 m/s, it travels slower than the cab. It is at this point that, instead of gaining distance on the cab, the cab begins to catch up to the ball, thus cutting down on the distance

1. What is relative projectile motion?

Relative projectile motion refers to the motion of a projectile relative to a moving frame of reference, rather than a stationary one. This means that the projectile's motion is affected by the motion of the frame of reference it is being observed from.

2. How is relative projectile motion different from absolute projectile motion?

Absolute projectile motion is the motion of a projectile relative to a stationary frame of reference, such as the ground. In this case, the projectile's motion is not affected by the motion of the frame of reference. Relative projectile motion takes into account the motion of the frame of reference, making it a more accurate representation of the projectile's path.

3. What factors affect relative projectile motion?

The main factor that affects relative projectile motion is the velocity of the frame of reference from which the projectile is being observed. Other factors, such as air resistance and gravitational force, can also impact the projectile's motion.

4. How can relative projectile motion be calculated?

To calculate relative projectile motion, you will need to know the initial velocity and angle of the projectile, as well as the velocity of the frame of reference. Using these values, you can use the equations of motion to calculate the projectile's position and velocity at any given time.

5. What are some real-world applications of relative projectile motion?

Relative projectile motion is used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports. For example, it is used to calculate the trajectory of a baseball thrown by a pitcher or the path of a rocket launched from a moving aircraft carrier. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in a rotating reference frame, such as a rollercoaster or a spinning top.