Relative Velocity of Particle ##p##: S vs S

In summary, a particle ##p## is moving with a velocity ##u\hat i## with respect to S. When considering its velocity with respect to S', it is observed to be ##-c \hat i##. However, the concept of absolute rest is non-physical and in theory, there is no such thing as an inertial frame moving at the speed of light with respect to another inertial frame. Therefore, the velocity of ##p## with respect to S is undefined.
Apashanka
TL;DR Summary
Considering two frames S(absolute rest) and S' where S' is moving with respect to S with a velocity ##c\hat i##
A particle ##p## is moving with a velocity ##u\hat i## with respect to S ...
The velocity of ##p## with respect to S' is then ##-c \hat i##...

Another part...
Similarly taking the velocity of particle ##p## with respect to S' as ##-c\hat i## the velocity of ##p## with respect to S is then coming to be undefined ,however it should be coming to be ##u\hat i##??isn't it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately there is nothing we can discuss here. The idea of absolute rest is non-physical and even in theory there is no such thing as an inertial frame moving at c with respect to another inertial frame.

Likes Pencilvester and vanhees71

1. What is the relative velocity of a particle in relation to two different frames of reference?

The relative velocity of a particle refers to its velocity as observed from two different frames of reference. It is the difference between the velocities of the particle in each frame of reference.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one frame of reference from the velocity of the other frame of reference. This gives the difference in velocity between the two frames.

3. What is the significance of relative velocity in physics?

Relative velocity is important in physics because it allows us to understand how objects move in relation to each other from different perspectives. It is also a crucial concept in the theory of relativity.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This means that the two frames of reference are moving in opposite directions, and the particle's velocity is negative in one frame of reference and positive in the other.

5. How does relative velocity affect the measurement of time and distance?

Relative velocity affects the measurement of time and distance because it is dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This means that measurements of time and distance may differ between two frames of reference due to their relative velocities.