Calculating Final Speed: Electrons & Potential Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the final speed of electrons accelerated through a potential difference of 250000 V, and the equations used to calculate this speed both classically and relativistically. The classical equation is KE=0.5mv^2 and the relativistic equation is KE=mc^2-m0c^2. The final speed predicted classically is 2.96×108 m/s, while the final speed predicted relativistically is 2.22 * 10^8 m/s, with the equations requiring further manipulation to solve for the electron's speed.
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

Electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 250000 V. What is the final speed predicted classically?

What is the final speed predicted relativistically?

Homework Equations

KE=0.5mv^2
KE=mc^2-m0c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a.2.96×108 m/s

b. I keep ending up with the speed of light which I know is incorrect...for m I know I use m0/sqrt (1-v^2/c^2) so the final equation is KE which I found to be 4.005e-14 J= m0/sqrt (1-v^2/c^2)*c^2 -m0c^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Your working equations are incomplete.

1. Yes, that's the correct classical kinetic energy, but how does that relate to an electric potential difference V?

2. Yes, that's the correct equation for relativistic kinetic energy, but you'll need it in a form that include relativistic momentum, since you need to compare the two speeds. After all, the equation as you have it written down doesn't allow us to solve for the electron's speed (it just includes masses and the speed of light).

NikkiNik said:
b. I keep ending up with the speed of light which I know is incorrect...for m I know I use m0/sqrt (1-v^2/c^2) so the final equation is KE which I found to be 4.005e-14 J= m0/sqrt (1-v^2/c^2)*c^2 -m0c^2

I came up with 2.22 * 10^8 m/s. Are you sure you calculated correctly?

1. How do you calculate the final speed of an electron?

The final speed of an electron can be calculated using the formula v = √(2qV/m), where v is the final speed, q is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

3. How does potential difference affect the final speed of an electron?

The final speed of an electron is directly proportional to the potential difference. This means that as the potential difference increases, the final speed of the electron also increases. This relationship is described by the formula v = √(2qV/m).

4. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the electric potential at the second point is lower than the electric potential at the first point. In this case, the electric field is in the opposite direction, causing the electron to lose energy and decrease in speed.

5. What is the unit of measurement for final speed of an electron?

The unit of measurement for final speed of an electron is meters per second (m/s). This is a standard unit of measurement for velocity and represents the distance an electron travels in one second.