1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative stability of ions

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

We have to determine in which of the following options, the first ion is more stable than the second.

Q1.png

Q2.png

Q3.png

Q4.png

Q5.png

Q6.png

Attempt at the question

1. Since in the first one, +ve charge is due to bonding, not deficiency of electrons.

2. First one can get lone pair from N.

3. N can easily donate its lone pair as opposed to O.

4. O can easily affect the -ve charge density by inductive effect.

5. P can handle +ve on itself more appreciably than N.

6. Backbonding is possible in 2nd case.

The problem is that I have marked 4 options but only 3 options are right as per the answer key. Is it that the answer key is wrong?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Changed Image Host. Now should be able to see the pics.

4. Aug 16, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw all of the resonance structures for the second choice and see if your reasoning holds up.

So can the second one. Which one is most stable?

Is that a methyl group instead of double bonded methylene on the nitrogen? If not, it looks like an ylide but you haven't drawn the carbanion. Right answer, BTW.

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

A1.png

I've blundered up big time. I now think the second one is more stable. :cry:

A2.png

Second one can also donate. (What's happened to me? :confused:).

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Keep working on that delocalization for 1 and 2. You haven't show them all yet. Good work so far! Remember, the more delocalized the charge the more stable.

7. Aug 17, 2012 #6

AGNuke

Gold Member

My Bad. Its carbanion. So, its possible that P can form pπ-dπ back bond.

As for 1 and 2, the latter case seems to have 3 canonical structures, which should increase their stability. Therefore, 1 and 2 are out of answer.

I noticed that the season of back bonding is showering over 4. S can also form pπ-dπ back bond to accomodate that -ve charge. And they say Electromeric effect is more effective in shifting electron density than Inductive effect.

So, the answer boils down to 3,4,5. I really need to take sleeping pills... :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook