1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative stability of iron ions

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    In terms of electronic structure, Fe3+ is more stable than Fe2+ because it has a half filled d-orbital which gives extra stability.
    i.e. Fe3+ : [Ar]3d5
    Fe2+ : [Ar]3d6
    But the standard electrode potential of the following reaction is 0.77V,
    Fe3+(aq) + e- => Fe2+(aq)
    which means formation of Fe2+is favored and Fe2+ should be more stable in this case.

so, actually, Fe2+ or Fe3+ is more stable?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What state is the iron in when you're looking at electronic configurations? What state is the iron in when you're looking at the reduction potential?

4. Jan 21, 2006 #3
    Plz comment on my way of thinking:
    Fe2+ is more stable than Fe3+ in aqueous solution because of the more -ve hydration energy of Fe2+
    so in what situation will Fe3+ be more stable than Fe2+??

5. Jan 21, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay.
    You aren't restricted to aqueous solution. You aren't forbidden the use of chelating agents. You're not forbidden the formation of complexes.

6. Jan 21, 2006 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in addition to what bystander noted, I think what you mean by "stability" is in regard to the ionization energies (1st, 2nd, 3rd). You'll need to consider the trend in ionization energies in relation to electronic configurations, the answer can be found in an inorganic text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?