1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative vectors problem

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    I found the answer for the first part of the problem to be 10 units. But I have no clue how to deal with the second part :) Please give some hints how to solve this following prob.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vector A and B, are drawn on an x-y coordinate system as shown. Vector A has a magnitude of 8 units, and vector B has a magnitude of 6 units. Find the x- and the y- components of vector A and B in the x-y system. Compute the magnitude of the resultant in the x-y coordinate system. A second coordinate system, the x'-y' system , is rotated 37 degree with respect to the x-y system as shown. Find the x'- and y'- components of A and B in the x'-y' system. Compute the magnitude of the resultant vector in the x'-y' coordinate system.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    no clue :(

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't know!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You have the magnitude, but how would you write the vectors in the x-y?

For instance A = 8 * x-hat + 0 * y-hat
    Now write B.

For the x'-y' translation you simply state these vectors in their components at the appropriate angles to the new axes.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    Aha ;)) Great thank to you! I'll try it now.

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4
    So, I have the result:

Ax'= 8cos37x'-hat= (6.4x'-hat)
    Ay'= -8sin37y'-hat = -4.8y'-hat

Bx'= 6cos37x'-hat= 4.8x'-hat
    By'= 6sin37y'-hat = 3.6y'-hat

Is it right?

6. Sep 23, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That looks right. I would express it as the sum of the x and y components though.

7. Sep 23, 2008 #6
    ;)) Thanks alot, LowlyPion for your helpfulness and kindness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?