Relative Velocities: Solving a Physics Problem

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
Your final answer for the man's velocity is correct at 0.717m/s. Great job summarizing the conversation, but you may want to also mention the physics question that was being solved and how the man's velocity was found. In summary, a man is juggling on a horizontal escalator and another man walking by notices that the horizontal range of the ball is 1m. By using the formula v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad, the total flight time of the ball is found to be 1.27775s. The actual horizontal range of the ball is calculated to be 1.9166m and using proportions, the man's perceived velocity is found to be 0.7826m
Pseudo Statistic
Well, I was hanging out with a friend the other day in a shopping mall's foodcourt and this guy I know from school comes up to me, asks me if I have a pen and a paper, and writes out a physics question for me to solve (talk about being a weirdo :biggrin:) and it went something like this:

A man is juggling while riding on a horizontal escalator; he is moving at 1m/s relative to the escalator. The escalator is moving 0.5m/s relative to the ground. The maximum vertical point a ball reaches is 2m and another man, walking by the escalator, notices that the horizontal range of the ball is 1m. What is the velocity of the other man? (Relative to the ground)

I guessed I'd first write down what's given relative to the ground:
v ball x = 1.5m/s
y = 2m
xP = 1m
Then, finding out how much time it takes for that one ball to go through half a cycle (i.e. in order to find ACTUAL horizontal range):
0 = vy^2 - 19.6*2
v ball y = 6.26m/s
0 = 6.26 - 4.9 t
t = 1.27775s
And to find the actual horizontal range,
x = 1.5 * 1.27775 = 1.9166m
And then, because everything in the x direction is going at constant velocity (and we're assuming so is the other man), so velocity is directly proportional to distance, and because the constant k, 1/t, is constant (because the time intervals are the same), we can write:
k xP / kx = vP / v ball x = xP / x
v P = 0.7826m/s

Where v P is perceived velocity by the walking man and x P is the perceived range.
Next, because he sees it as 0.7826m/s, we can write:
V + 0.7826 = 1.5
V = 0.717m/s
And what I got is that he's walking at 0.717m/s.
Can anyone tell me if I'm right or wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same number for one of the possible velocities, the other is 2.28 m/s. I did it a little differently though.

I found the amount of time it would take the ball to fall from its maximum height of 2 meters, then multiplied by two to get its total flight time. You can do this because the ball's velocity curve must be symmetric about the maximum point due to conservation of energy. I then found the velocity relative to the man/ball system which would see the ball as having a horizontal distance traveled as 1m for the flight time then added and subtracted that number to the man's velocity relative to the ground.

Could you explain what you're doing in the first few lines of your solution? I don't know what vbally is, is that the velocity of the ball when it reaches/leaves the man's hand?

vball y is the vertical velocity of the ball as it leaves the man's hand.
vball x is the actual horizontal velocity of the ball.
First I used the formula v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad to find the inital vertical velocity...
Then, I found total flight time: v = v0 + at, but I substituted v0 from what I got in the previous equation, 0 for v, -9.8 for a and (t/2) for t, thus getting:
0 = v0 - 4.9t
And solving for t...
Then finding the ACTUAL horizontal range of the ball by using x = v ball x * t (Since t is the total flight time)
And then I used the proportions to get the relative velocity and... yeah.
Maybe you can point out where I made a mistake? :)
Thanks.

Pseudo Statistic said:
And what I got is that he's walking at 0.717m/s.
Can anyone tell me if I'm right or wrong? Thanks.
Your answer and method look good to me.

1. What is the concept of relative velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their respective velocities to determine the overall velocity of one object relative to the other.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to determine the velocities of both objects and then subtract the velocity of one object from the other. This will give you the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions. The negative sign indicates that the objects are moving away from each other.

4. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity refers to the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. Absolute velocity does not consider the motion of other objects.

5. How is relative velocity used in real-world applications?

Relative velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the velocity of objects in motion, such as airplanes and boats, and to determine the trajectory of projectiles. It is also used in everyday scenarios, such as determining the speed of a car relative to another car or a stationary object.