1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocities

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small plane flies at 120km/h over the end of a runway along the axis of the runway. There is a crosswind, exactly 90 degrees to the direction of the runway, blowing at 50km/h. The speed of the plane with respect to the air is:

130km/h
    50km/h
    120km/h
    need more info
    70km/h

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I set up the equation:

V(p/g) ( plane respect to ground ) = V(p/a) (plane respect to air) + V(a/g) (air respect to ground)

p/g = 120 a/g =50

120 = 50 +x
    sqrt(120^2 - 50^2) = x ?

this gives 109 km/h though which is not a choice, did I do something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Why this?

The plane is flying straight with the runway at 120 mph, and the plane has to be moving through the air. The wind is blowing cross-wise so the planes velocity in the air must be the vector sum of its velocity and the winds velocity.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #3
    Why are you taking the square root? Everything is in the same direction.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    how is everything in the same direction if the wind is blowing perpindicular to the runway

6. Oct 8, 2007 #5
    so it is 130?

the reason i was subtracting was because I tried putting it into the equation

V p/a = V p/b + V b/a

and i got

120 = x + 50

7. Oct 8, 2007 #6
    Oh, I guess I don't know what crosswise means. I thought it meant across the cross section. Why not just say perpendicular, or if they really want to be fancy, orthogonal. I guess I am still an idiot for not even reading the 90 degree part, my bad. Yes, it would be 130.

Do the vector diagram, and it should be pretty apparent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?