1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity and momentum

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Tony (of mass 50kg)coasts on his bicycle (of mass 5 kg)at a constant speed of 6m/s, carrying a 12 kg pack. Tony throws his pack forward, in the direction of his motion, at 2m/s relative to the speed of the bicycle just before the throw. What is the initial momentum of the system (Tony, the bicycle, and the pack)?
    Answer in units of kgm/s.

Does relative velocity here mean that the pack is actually moving at 8m/s?I'm a little confused as to what relative velocity is. To get initial momentum, I would just add all their momentums together, right?Because they have different speeds? Because I don't think I would be able to add their masses together and multiply by the velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Yes, relative to the speed of the bike just means that you should imagine that the bike is at rest and the earth is moving 6 m/s backward. So, yes, the pack is moving at 8 m/s relative to the earth. However, are you sure this is relevant to the question that the problem asks?

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    hmm i guess not b/c the pack should be moving at the same speed as the boy and the bike..but it would be if i were asked to find the momentum of the system after the pack was thrown i think..

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4

turin

Homework Helper

Careful ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?