Relative Velocity Discussion

In summary, the relative velocity equation should be Vpe (plane to earth) = Vpa (plane to air) + Vae(air to earth). Vpe is then the new velocity and is found using the cosine law and the sine law.
gasapple
Relative Velocity?

OK - I'm having problems visualizing a relative velocity problem. Please let me know if I am on the right track... problem involves a jet with initial V of 300 mi/h due east that encounters winds at 100 mi/h in a direction 30 degrees north of east. I need to calculate new velocity relative to the Earth (or ground).

I believe my relative velocity equation should be Vpe (plane to earth) = Vpa (plane to air) + Vae(air to earth). I'll solve for Vpe. Does this seem right? And since I'm asked for the new velocity (vector), i believe I'd take the arccos of the Vpa/Vpe to get the angle?

Sound like a good approach?

Thanks again,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "Vpe", etc.? They should be vectors but then "arccos of the Vpa/Vpe" doesn't make sense- you can't divide one vector by another. Draw a picture (is the wind blowing toward 30 degrees N of E or from that direction? Usually wind is given as coming from a direction but you said "in" that direction so apparently it is blowing toward that.) Once you have drawn the vectors for the jets original velocity and wind velocity, draw in the third side of the triangle- the planes new velocity. You will need to use trigonometry to solve for the new speed and angle- cosine law to find the speed and then the sine law to find the angle.

There was a relative velocity question where the relatives were divided and then the arccos was taken to determine the angle. It was a sample problem I viewed, hence my deduction. Had something to do with a boat crossing a river with a current and boat speed relative to shore - so I saw some simliarities with this problem...

So, it does makes sense that I would be adding the vectors for this relative velocity question? The sentence says "in a direction 30 degrees north of east" and "what is the new velocity of aircraft relative to ground"... So, I would use the sin function for the angle and how would I determine the velocity - simply the pythagorean?

Thanks again

Last edited:

1. What is relative velocity and how is it different from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point. In other words, relative velocity takes into account the motion of both objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of one object.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by finding the difference between the velocities of two objects. This can be done by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object.

3. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions.

4. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions. The relative velocity between two colliding objects must be taken into account to determine the resulting velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.

5. What are some real-world applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity has many practical applications, such as in navigation and transportation, where it is used to calculate the velocity of moving objects in relation to each other. It is also important in fields such as astronomy, where it is used to study the motion of celestial objects in relation to each other.