1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity Help

1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the relative velocity of object B to object A is 10 m/s, and the relative velocity of object C to object B is 10 m/s, what is the relative velocity of object C to object A?

2. Relevant equations
    These should be vectors just to give a heads up

vbs= vbw+vws

vba=vab

These are the equations given in my book

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first attempt was using the second eqaution since the question before it was similar but it did not have c and I used the second formula and I got it right.
    The second formula uses the idea of reference frames. So A and B have the same magnitude but different direction. So B and C is the same. So -10m/s -10m/s= -20 m/s. I was given this option and was told it was wrong. Then I made it an absolute value and it was wrong. So would it be -10m/s + 10m/s. Because if B is -10m/s, the opposite magnitude would be 10m/s and adding them together would give me 10? Or would I need more information to solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2
    Convert B wrt A to A wrt B giving -10 then make point diagram of A B and C showing C 10 B 0 and A -10 meter per second this will give you the answer. Hope this helps.

4. Jan 30, 2017 #3
    So was I on the right track making one of them -10m/s and the other one 10m/s. So at this point do I add them to find the relative velocity of C to A. Making it 0 m/s? I find this part really confusing

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4
    No no you are not adding scalars, you are adding vectors afyer this step you have to go to A frame getting B = 10 and C = 20

6. Jan 30, 2017 #5
    For relative velocity wrt to A you always have to be in A's frame or can you use common sence. Always remember this point. Good question.

Cheers

7. Jan 30, 2017 #6
    I still don't understand this. I find it hard to visualize.

8. Jan 30, 2017 #7
    Then you need an offline physical world teacher to help you.

9. Jan 30, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you mean vba=-vab?
    Why do that? The first equation applies immediately.

10. Jan 30, 2017 #9
    Just ro help you visualise

11. Feb 1, 2017 #10
    Yes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted