Relative Velocity of Object C to Object A = 10 m/s

In summary: So A and B have the same magnitude but different direction. So B and C is the same. So -10m/s -10m/s= -20 m/s.
nguyensteve

Homework Statement

If the relative velocity of object B to object A is 10 m/s, and the relative velocity of object C to object B is 10 m/s, what is the relative velocity of object C to object A?

Homework Equations

These should be vectors just to give a heads up

vbs= vbw+vws

vba=vab

These are the equations given in my book

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was using the second eqaution since the question before it was similar but it did not have c and I used the second formula and I got it right.
The second formula uses the idea of reference frames. So A and B have the same magnitude but different direction. So B and C is the same. So -10m/s -10m/s= -20 m/s. I was given this option and was told it was wrong. Then I made it an absolute value and it was wrong. So would it be -10m/s + 10m/s. Because if B is -10m/s, the opposite magnitude would be 10m/s and adding them together would give me 10? Or would I need more information to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert B wrt A to A wrt B giving -10 then make point diagram of A B and C showing C 10 B 0 and A -10 meter per second this will give you the answer. Hope this helps.

So was I on the right track making one of them -10m/s and the other one 10m/s. So at this point do I add them to find the relative velocity of C to A. Making it 0 m/s? I find this part really confusing

No no you are not adding scalars, you are adding vectors afyer this step you have to go to A frame getting B = 10 and C = 20

For relative velocity wrt to A you always have to be in A's frame or can you use common sence. Always remember this point. Good question.

Cheers

I still don't understand this. I find it hard to visualize.

Then you need an offline physical world teacher to help you.

nguyensteve said:
vba=vab
Do you mean vba=-vab?
Daniel Dey said:
Convert B wrt A to A wrt B
Why do that? The first equation applies immediately.

Just ro help you visualise

haruspex said:
Do you mean vba=-vab?

Why do that? The first equation applies immediately.
Yes

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference.

How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the reference object from the velocity of the moving object. This can be done using vector addition or using the relative velocity formula.

What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the measurement of an object's velocity in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference, while relative velocity takes into account the velocity of another moving object or frame of reference.

Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative if the moving object is traveling in the opposite direction of the reference object or frame of reference.

How is relative velocity used in real life?

Relative velocity is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the velocity of objects in motion and to predict their movements in relation to other objects or frames of reference.