Calculating Relative Velocity of a Canoe on a River

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity (magnitude and direction) of a canoe relative to a river, given the canoe's velocity relative to the earth and the river's velocity relative to the earth. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem and finding the resultant velocity using the x and y components of the canoe's and river's velocities. The final answer is 0.36m/s, 53.6 degrees east of north.
Edwardo_Elric

Homework Statement

A canoe has a velocity of 0.30m/s northwest relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing 0.50m/s west relative to the earth. Find the velocity (magnitude and direction ) of the canoe relative to the river.

Homework Equations

E = earth
R = river
C = canoe
[tex]V_{C/E} = V_{C/R} + V_{R/E} [/tex]
[tex]V_{C/E} - V_{R/E} = V_{C/R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer at the back of the book is .36m/s 53.6 degrees east of north

to get to the book's answer, i used the pythagorean theorem
[tex]\sqrt{{V_{C/E}}^2 - {V_{R/E}}^2} = V_{C/R}[/tex]
and i confusingly substituted
\sqrt{((0.30)cos(45) - .50)^2 - ((.30) sin 45))^2} = V_{C/R}
then get .36
and i don't know how the V_{C/E}'s x components got involved ...

Physics news on Phys.org
ohhh
ok i got it already:
since : V_{C/E} - V_{R/E} = V_{C/R}
x component: -(.21)- (-.50)
y component: .21 - 0
(.29)^2 + (.21)^2 = V_resultant^2

[tex]\theta = arctan\frac{.21}{.29} [/tex]
[tex]\theta = 35.9[/tex]degres north of east
or 90 - 35.9 = 54.1 e of n

I like these kind of threads! :biggrin:

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object relative to another object. In the case of a canoe, it is the speed and direction of the canoe in relation to the observer or another object in the environment.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. In the case of a canoe, the velocity of the observer or another object is subtracted from the velocity of the canoe.

3. What factors affect the relative velocity of a canoe?

The relative velocity of a canoe can be affected by several factors, such as the speed and direction of the wind or current, the paddling speed and technique of the canoeist, and the shape and weight of the canoe.

4. How does relative velocity impact the motion of a canoe?

The relative velocity of a canoe can impact its motion by either aiding or hindering its movement. For example, if the relative velocity of the wind is in the same direction as the canoe's movement, it can help propel the canoe forward. However, if the relative velocity of the wind is in the opposite direction, it can slow down the canoe's progress.

5. How can understanding relative velocity be useful for canoeing?

Understanding relative velocity can be useful for canoeing as it allows the canoeist to anticipate and adjust for the effects of external factors on the canoe's motion. It can also help with route planning and making strategic decisions while on the water.