Understanding Relative Velocity of Runners Moving in Opposite Directions

In summary, James and Billy are running west and east, respectively, with Billy running twice as fast as James. The relative velocity of James with respect to Billy differs depending on whether they are running towards or away from each other, with Billy covering more distance in both scenarios. The velocities can be represented by symbols such as Vb and Vj, with Vb being equal to -2Vj. The negative sign indicates that their velocities are in opposite directions. A helpful approach to solving this problem is to draw a diagram.
samisoccer9

Homework Statement

James is running west wrt the ground and Billy is running east wrt the ground, but twice as fast as James. How does the relative velocity of James wrt Billy differ if they are running toward each other or away from each other? Explain.
*wrt = with relation to*

Homework Equations

VJG and VBG

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a word problem, I just started an online grade 12 physics class today so I am sort of clueless and quite confused. So I interpreted it like this. Let's say James was 100m/s, therefore Billy is 200m/s. If they run away from each other, so one left/west one right/east then in relation to the ground it would seem as if Billy covered more distance (which would be true?) and if they were running towards each other, then I thought it would be seen as Billy simply again covering more distance by the time James got there. I need help, please and thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing a picture will help with almost every physics problem.

Rather than assign a number to the velocities, it is better to use symbols, like Vb and Vj for the velocities of james and billy relative to the ground.

Then Vb = -2Vj

Think about why the sign is negative.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their direction of movement.

2. How is the relative velocity of a runner calculated?

The relative velocity of a runner can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of the observer from the velocity of the runner. It is important to take into account the direction of motion for both the runner and the observer.

3. Why is relative velocity important in running?

Relative velocity is important in running because it helps us understand the speed and direction of a runner in relation to an observer or another object. It also allows us to calculate the impact of external factors, such as wind or incline, on the runner's performance.

4. How does relative velocity affect a runner's performance?

Relative velocity can affect a runner's performance by either increasing or decreasing their overall speed. For example, if a runner is running against the wind, their relative velocity will be lower and they will have to exert more effort to maintain their desired speed.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the runner's motion is opposite to the direction of the observer's motion. In this case, the relative velocity will be negative, indicating that the runner is moving away from the observer.