Calculating Flight Time for Birds in Windy Conditions

In summary, Canadian geese can migrate up to a thousand kilometers in a north-south direction, with speeds of up to 100 km/h. To travel directly southward relative to the ground, the bird should head at an angle of 24.8 degrees. To calculate the time it takes to cover a ground distance of 600 km, the Pythagorean theorem can be used, with the bird's speed of 100 km/h and the wind's speed of 42 km/h. The correct answer is 5.5 hours.
Ecterine
Canadian geese migrate essentially along a north-south direction for well over a thousand kilometers in some cases, traveling at speeds up to about 100 km/h . If one such bird is flying at 100 km/h relative to the air, but there is a 42.0 km/h wind blowing from west to east.

Part A) At what angle relative to the north-south direction should this bird head so that it will be traveling directly southward relative to the ground?

I got this part! 24.8 (I don't know if this is needed in the next part, so I thought I would mention it)

Part B) How long will it take the bird to cover a ground distance of 600 from north to south?

I tried to do it like the example in the book, using what is basically the pythagorean theorem. The bird travels at 100, wind is 42, leaving a hypotenuse.

So I did 100^2 + 42^2 = C^2 = 108.4km/h
Then, to get how long it takes to travel 600km I did 600/108.4 = 5.5 hours.

It was incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to A) is right.
The approach in B) seems right as well, only you didn't apply the Pythagorean theorem correctly. Draw the triangle on a piece of paper... what are the straight sides and what is the hypotenuse? Then fill in the numbers and solve for the side you need.

Likes Presha
Thank you! I completely missed that.

I hope you guys can count the time you spend here as volunteer experience, everyone is so helpful!

1. What is relative velocity of birds?

The relative velocity of birds refers to the speed and direction at which birds move in relation to an observer or another object.

2. How is relative velocity of birds measured?

The relative velocity of birds is measured by calculating the difference in speed and direction between the birds and the observer or another object.

3. What factors affect the relative velocity of birds?

The relative velocity of birds can be affected by various factors, such as wind speed and direction, the type of bird, and the flight patterns of the birds.

4. Why is understanding relative velocity of birds important?

Understanding relative velocity of birds is important for studying bird behavior and migration patterns, as well as for predicting potential collisions with aircraft or other flying objects.

5. Can relative velocity of birds be altered?

Yes, the relative velocity of birds can be altered by changes in their flight patterns, such as changes in direction or speed, as well as external factors like wind speed and direction.