1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity of birds

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    Canadian geese migrate essentially along a north-south direction for well over a thousand kilometers in some cases, traveling at speeds up to about 100 km/h . If one such bird is flying at 100 km/h relative to the air, but there is a 42.0 km/h wind blowing from west to east.

Part A) At what angle relative to the north-south direction should this bird head so that it will be traveling directly southward relative to the ground?

I got this part! 24.8 (I don't know if this is needed in the next part, so I thought I would mention it)

Part B) How long will it take the bird to cover a ground distance of 600 from north to south?

I tried to do it like the example in the book, using what is basically the pythagorean theorem. The bird travels at 100, wind is 42, leaving a hypotenuse.

So I did 100^2 + 42^2 = C^2 = 108.4km/h
    Then, to get how long it takes to travel 600km I did 600/108.4 = 5.5 hours.

It was incorrect. What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer to A) is right.
    The approach in B) seems right as well, only you didn't apply the Pythagorean theorem correctly. Draw the triangle on a piece of paper... what are the straight sides and what is the hypotenuse? Then fill in the numbers and solve for the side you need.

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    Thank you! I completely missed that.

I hope you guys can count the time you spend here as volunteer experience, everyone is so helpful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?