Relative Velocity of Stone?

When the balloon is ascending (or descending) with a velocity of 5 m/s, the stone will also have an initial velocity of 5 m/s in the same direction.In summary, when a stone is dropped from a balloon at an altitude of 300 metres and disregarding air resistance, the time it takes to reach Earth will depend on the initial velocity of the stone. If the balloon is ascending or descending with a velocity of 5 m/s, the stone will have an initial velocity of 5 m/s in the same direction. This will affect the time it takes for the stone to reach Earth. However, when the balloon is stationary, the stone will have no initial velocity and the time it takes to reach Earth will only
kerol9904

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from a balloon at an altitude of 300 metres. How much time is required for the stone to reach Earth if:
(1) Balloon is ascending with a velocity of 5 m/s,
(2) Balloon is descending with a velocity of 5 m/s
(3) Balloon is stationary
Disregard air resistance.

Homework Equations

[itex] x=x_0+v_0t-1/2gt^2 [/itex]
[itex] v=v_0-gt [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem with question 3 but I fail to understand how the ascend or descend of balloon affect the stone. I assumed that it affected the initial velocity of the stone but I can't seem to find the formula for time.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the initial velocity of the stone when it's dropped from a moving platform? ("Dropped" means it's simply released).

The question is about how to understand the initial velocity. When the balloon is moving upward (ascending) the object will have an upward initial velocity upon releasing, of course with the same magnitude as the balloon ascending. and vice versa in the case of downing.

Is it the same as the velocity of the platform itself?

kerol9904 said:
Is it the same as the velocity of the platform itself?

Yes, as I said above.

What is relative velocity of stone?

Relative velocity of stone is the speed at which a stone moves in relation to another object or reference frame. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the stone.

How is relative velocity of stone calculated?

Relative velocity of stone is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the reference frame from the velocity of the stone. This accounts for the stone's motion in relation to the reference frame.

Why is it important to consider relative velocity of stone?

Relative velocity of stone is important because it allows us to understand how the stone's motion is affected by the motion of other objects or reference frames. It also helps in predicting the stone's trajectory and impact.

Can relative velocity of stone be negative?

Yes, relative velocity of stone can be negative. This indicates that the stone is moving in the opposite direction of the reference frame, or that its speed is decreasing.

What factors can affect the relative velocity of stone?

The relative velocity of stone can be affected by the velocity of the reference frame, the stone's initial velocity, and any external forces acting on the stone such as gravity or friction.