1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity Problem

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A shortstop running at 2.0m/s toward third base catches and throws a ball toward home plate at 35m/s. IF the shortstop and catcher are lined up in a direct line of when the shortstop throws the ball,

a)at what angle to his body should he throw in order for the ball to move in a straight line directly from the catcher?

2. Relevant equations
    og= om+mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a vector diagram

The Runner is a meduim so mg= 2m/s
    the ball moving was the object relative to the ground 35/ms
    i think the object relative to the meduim is the side connecting to the om and mg and i need to get the angle between the om and mg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2
    Is this how the problen is actually written or are you missing bits and pieces.
    There is always a direct line between the catcher and the shortstop so that part of the problem is confusing, unless they mean somehow that it is a right traingle,

i guess the 35m/s is the ball relative to ground so that is the hypotenuse,
    and the shortstop relative to ground is 2m/s , so that is your opposite side of the triangle, where the angle theta is how much the shorstop should angle his body.
    theta being the smaller of the angles in the triangle.
    If that is how they meant it to be interpreted. I think that is what you had also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook